Prof. Nicholas Stern
Chair of the Institute
Lord Stern has been Chair of the Grantham Research Institute since it was founded in 2008.
He also holds the following positions:
- Chair of the Centre for Climate Change Economics and Policy;
- IG Patel Professor of Economics and Government, the first holder of this position, at the Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines (STICERD);
- Chair of the Asia Research Centre;
- Director of the India Observatory.
Lord Stern was adviser to the UK Government on the Economics of Climate Change and Development from 2005-2007, where he was Head of the Stern Review on the Economics of Climate Change, published in 2006.
He was Head of the Government Economic Service from 2003-2007; Second Permanent Secretary to Her Majesty’s Treasury from 2003-2005; Director of Policy and Research for the Prime Minister’s Commission for Africa from 2004-2005; and Chief Economist and Senior Vice President at the World Bank from 2000-2003.
During his time as Chief Economist of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, and Visiting Professor of Economics at LSE, he was one of the founding forces behind the Asia Research Centre, formally becoming its director in 2007.
- The economics of climate change;
- Economic development and growth;
- Economic theory;
- Tax reform;
- Public policy;
- The role of the state and economies in transition.
- PA Eva Lee: +44 (0) 20 7852 3564
- PA Kerrie Quirk: +44 (0) 20 7955 7871
- Bob Ward, Policy & Communications Director: +44 (0) 20 7107 5413