Researchers in this group focus on the practical challenges of implementing and delivering on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), particularly around the synergies and trade-offs between them.
Following broad international agreement on the SDGs and the Paris Agreement on climate change, consensus has formed around a new development agenda that recognises the interdependent nature of development: simply that economic growth, development and poverty reduction is are all linked and necessary for addressing global and local environmental challenges.
Members of this research group explore some of the most crucial aspects of delivery on this agenda, including climate-resilient development, the management of ecosystems, water and other natural resources, decision-making in uncertain circumstances, and the political economy of climate policy.
- The economic impact of El Niño-related floods and drought on small and medium enterprises in Botswana, Kenya and Zambia
- Pathways to resilience in semi-arid economies (PRISE)
- Uncertainty reduction in models for understanding development (UMFULA)
- Evaluating the Resilience Impact of Climate Insurance (ERICI)
- Zurich Flood Resilience Alliance (ZFRA)
Can subjective resilience indicators predict future food security? Evidence from three communities in rural Kyrgyzstan
This paper is the first to quantitatively compare the power of subjective and objective resilience measures to predict future wellbeing in the face of socio-environmental shocks and stressors. It uses data from rural Kyrgyzstan. read more »
Remarks from Eddie Bernice Johnson (Ranking Member of the House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology)
Remarks from Eddie Bernice Johnson (Ranking Member of the US Congressional House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology) to the Fall Meeting of the American Geophysical Union Communicating Climate Change: … read more »
- Letter from Bob Ward to Congresswoman Eddie Bernice Johnson (Ranking Member US House Committee on Science, Space and Technology)
- Climate change governance in Tanzania: challenges and opportunities
- Submission to the inquiry by the House of Commons Select Committee on International Development on: UK aid for combating climate change
‘The Daily Telegraph’ has been forced today to publish corrections to an error-filled article about climate and energy policy by the newspaper’s former editor after it was ruled to be … read more »
- Why does climate change get described as a stock-flow problem?
- What is the role of deforestation in climate change and how can ‘Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Degradation’ (REDD+) help?
- To what extent could planting trees help solve climate change?
- What are the potential impacts of climate change for the UK?