Researchers in this group focus on the practical challenges of implementing and delivering on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), particularly around the synergies and trade-offs between them.
Following broad international agreement on the SDGs and the Paris Agreement on climate change, consensus has formed around a new development agenda that recognises the interdependent nature of development: simply that economic growth, development and poverty reduction is are all linked and necessary for addressing global and local environmental challenges.
Members of this research group explore some of the most crucial aspects of delivery on this agenda, including climate-resilient development, the management of ecosystems, water and other natural resources, decision-making in uncertain circumstances, and the political economy of climate policy.
Resilient, but from whose perspective? Like-for-like comparison of objective and subjective evaluations of resilience
Little has been known to date about how objective and subjective modes of evaluating resilience compare. This paper addresses this gap, introducing a new method of subjective evaluation through household surveys in Uganda. The findings are relevant to evaluation toolkit design. read more »
- Recommendations for improving the treatment of risk and uncertainty in economic estimates of climate impacts in the Sixth Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Assessment Report
- From advocacy to action: Projecting the health impacts of climate change
- Climate information needs in Southern Africa: a review
With substantial new hydropower generation planned for eastern and southern Africa, how can risks from rainfall variations and climate change be overcome to ensure reliable supply and socioeconomic development? This brief analyses the challenges and provides recommendations to policymakers, the energy sector and development partners. read more »
Commenting on the publication today (17 September 2018) by the Office of National Statistics of the ‘Quarterly mortality report, England: April to June 2018’ (https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/articles/quarterlymortalityreports/apriltojune2018), which shows that an increase … read more »
- Why does climate change get described as a stock-flow problem?
- What is the role of deforestation in climate change and how can ‘Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Degradation’ (REDD+) help?
- To what extent could planting trees help solve climate change?
- What are the potential impacts of climate change for the UK?