Researchers in this group focus on the practical challenges of implementing and delivering on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), particularly around the synergies and trade-offs between them.
Following broad international agreement on the SDGs and the Paris Agreement on climate change, consensus has formed around a new development agenda that recognises the interdependent nature of development: simply that economic growth, development and poverty reduction is are all linked and necessary for addressing global and local environmental challenges.
Members of this research group explore some of the most crucial aspects of delivery on this agenda, including climate-resilient development, the management of ecosystems, water and other natural resources, decision-making in uncertain circumstances, and the political economy of climate policy.
- The economic impact of El Niño-related floods and drought on small and medium enterprises in Botswana, Kenya and Zambia
- Pathways to resilience in semi-arid economies (PRISE)
- Uncertainty reduction in models for understanding development (UMFULA)
- Evaluating the Resilience Impact of Climate Insurance (ERICI)
- Zurich Flood Resilience Alliance (ZFRA)
With 70% of its population living in coastal areas and low-lying deltas, Vietnam is highly exposed to riverine and coastal flooding. This paper conducts a “stress-test” and examines the exposure … read more »
- Climate change adaptation among female-led micro, small and medium enterprises in semi-arid areas: a case study from Kenya
- Mimi-PAGE, an open-source implementation of the PAGE09 integrated assessment model
- How do staff motivation and workplace environment affect capacity of governments to adapt to climate change in developing countries?
The policy brief outlines the key governance challenges Tanzania faces in implementing its climate policies, describes the drivers of and barriers to climate-relevant policy processes, and concludes with policy recommendations. read more »
Patrick Curran reflects on a nine-year discussion about carbon pricing and carbon tax in South Africa as the country's government postpones the tax's implementation once again. read more »
- Why does climate change get described as a stock-flow problem?
- What is the role of deforestation in climate change and how can ‘Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Degradation’ (REDD+) help?
- To what extent could planting trees help solve climate change?
- What are the potential impacts of climate change for the UK?