Explainers: Energy and climate change
Policy measures and technological solutions that can help reduce carbon emissions from energy generation and use.
- How important is offshore wind energy to the UK?
- What are gas prices in the UK and how do they affect bills?
- What is ‘decarbonisation’ of the power sector? Why do we need to decarbonise the power sector in the UK?
- Why are household energy efficiency measures important for tackling climate change?
- Do renewable energy technologies need government subsidies?
- How much shale gas is there in the UK and what is the status of fracking?
- What is carbon capture, usage and storage (CCUS) and what role can it play in tackling climate change?
- What is gas’s role in the energy mix in the UK and what is the Government’s strategy on gas?
- What is the polluter pays principle?
- What is the role of nuclear in the energy mix and in reducing greenhouse gas emissions?