Sandy is a Research Fellow at Trade and Industrial Policy Strategies (TIPS), a not for profit economic research Institute focused on inclusive industrial growth. TIPS is based in South Africa and supports government decision making at all levels of policy and strategy. Sandy is currently leading TIPS’s research agenda on Just Transition financing.
Sandy holds a Masters of Commerce in Economics from the University of the Witwatersrand. She joined the first democratic government in 1994 and established and worked in the Gauteng Finance and Economic Affairs Department where she developed provincial trade and industrial strategies and oversaw a multi billion Rand mega strategic economic infrastructure project to support the province’s transition from a mining economy to a smart province. On joining TIPS she led industrial strategy and policy projects for the National Department of Trade and Industry, the National Treasury, the President’s Office and the National Department of Science and Technology. Sandy has recently moved into the field of Just Transition Financing. She also lectures Economics at the Gordon Institute of Business and the University of Pretoria.
- Just Transition financing mechanisms and instruments
- Defining Just Transition Transaction eligibility in a Global South context
- The Scale of Just Transition economic diversification activities
- Just Transition Pipeline challenges and support options
- Re-thinking technical assistance in the context of community participation and the Just Transition