1. Why did you choose LSE and the programme?

For my masters I wanted to pursue Philosophy with a practical, application-based approach, especially towards policy. I wanted to build a specialisation in ethical policy-making and LSE offered the best possible combination in the form of its MSc in Philosophy and Public Policy. LSE is also one of the most reputed institutions world wide and I definitely wanted to study at best possible university and spend a year living in London understanding the causes of things!

2. Which aspects of your studies were the most beneficial for your professional as well as personal development?

My masters dissertation has to be the most beneficial element, professionally. It was my first independent and original work of Philosophy and it helped me greatly to secure doctoral offers later on. The faculty members are not only experts in their fields but they also have high expectations which pushed me to give my best. Being a part of such a diverse multinational cohort helped me approach Philosophy like never before with a much broader way of thinking. Personally, adjusting into the analytic tradition of LSE Philosophy, the cultural adaptation involved in moving to London from India and then managing to live here alone during the first covid lockdown were two experiences that made me build a lot of character and I’m thankful for that.

3. What is your fondest memory of your time here?

When I presented my dissertation proposal during the seminar in front of my cohort and my supervisor. I had never felt as passionately about any other project and convincing a room full of such intelligent people (after rigorous questioning, debate and discussion!) of my research idea was exhilarating. I also fondly remember my discussions with my supervisor during the office hours which I made full use of!

4. Why would you recommend studying at LSE and the Philosophy department in particular?

The campus is unique when it comes to its vibe. You can almost touch the buzz of ideas in the air and being in that intellectually charged atmosphere is thrilling. The administration makes it extremely easy for the students to carry on with their studies which is a huge benefit for international students. The Philosophy department is a wonderful space for healthy exchange of ideas with room for both discussions and disagreements, even with the faculty! It’s the most supportive set of people I’ve had the good fortune to learn from and be associated with. Studying at LSE and at the Philosophy department trained me at finding the answers to the problems of policy making but more importantly, I learned to ask the right questions.

5. Your LSE experience in your own words

LSE for me was a dream that had been almost a decade in waiting. And I can happily say that it was lived well and became the most significant learning experience of my life so far. Living in London and exploring the city from an unprecedented perspective during the lockdown is also something I dearly cherish. I lived in the LSE Northumberland House which gave me the luxurious opportunity to live in the heart of the city because of its location. LSE was both the adventure and experience of a lifetime where I loved being pushed to expand my mind every week! And now as I start my PhD journey at York University, I’m sure it wouldn’t have been possible without the education and constant guidance I received at LSE even after I graduated, especially from my supervisor.

Khushi Vijayvergiya is currently doing a PhD at York University (Last update: February 2023).