Why did you choose LSE and the programme?

I chose the Master of Science in Philosophy of Science at LSE because that was the program whose structure best fitted my interests, being it focused on and specialized in the philosophical areas that I wanted to go deeper inside at the end of my bachelor’s program. 

Which aspect of your studies were the most beneficial for your professional as well as personal development?

I am currently a Phd student in Philosophy at Università Vita-Salute San Raffaele in Milan. From a professional point of view, I know that what I have learned at LSE helped me a lot during the application process and is still helping me every day through my research activity. I am not thinking only in academic terms, namely what I have learned in class, but also in terms of self-management, how to efficiently work by my own, how to manage my time, and many other skills that help me to understand whether I am doing an accurate and good job or not. 

What is your fondest memory of your time here?

Unfortunately, during my year, we were all living the darkest moment of the Covid-19 pandemic, for a while I have even been unable to get back to London, right after Christmas. I do not have many memories that I can share with my classmates. This is very sad, but I hope to be back at LSE one day and build new and happier memories from this point of view. If I had to pick a moment, I would probably choose the graduation day. Being finally there all together with my peers, still with masks but at least all in the same room, with my family being there was a very emotional moment. I really felt like I was more than a student, I was, and still I am, part of something. Another moment that I consider worth mentioning is not related to a specific day. During the Michaelmas Term, on Mondays, I used to attend the last seminar of the day at 32 Lincoln’s Inn Fields, then I walked back home. The campus, around 6 pm in Winter, is gently illuminated by a very warm light, and I remember walking through it with my peers, discussing about the seminar or other things that we had found interesting. That was a very beautiful moment to share ideas and to know each other, and the atmosphere around us was always great. 

Why would you recommend studying at LSE and the Philosophy department in particular?

I would recommend that because there you can find a real international environment, with people from all around the world, coming from very different and variegate backgrounds, and because the courses are very well structured and conceived in such a way that, by making the right combinations and choices in terms of which you decide to attend, it is possible to have a complete and very deep knowledge of current debates, lines of research and philosophical traditions. Plus, Faculty members are very competent and kind, always ready to discuss, even outside office hours and class hours, and happy to help you with anything you need. 

Your LSE experience in your own words

The only regrets I have about my experience at LSE regard the things that I have not been able to do because of Covid. I am deeply sorry to not have been able to participate in any of the initiatives part of the students’ life, like being part of sporting clubs or students’ associations. Of course, the pandemic has also compromised friendships and personal relations in general. Besides that, LSE has a very special place in my heart. My time there has been one of the most important in my life, not only because of what I have learned, which has enabled me to structure a good doctoral project and start what I hope is going to be a career in academic research, but also because I have had the chance to know myself better, to understand that I want to spend as much time as possible in a place like that, where you feel part of something, where hard work is required, supported, and motivated by the right reasons, by curiosity, by the aim to understand the world we live in and the dynamics that make it move, and where you can always meet someone new who shares your ambitions, desires and interests.