Organizing Risk Group (ORG) is an international and interdisciplinary academic network of researchers in management and other social sciences interested in risk and risk management. Their research covers a variety of topics including riskwork and risk management practices, crisis management and business continuity, internal controls and auditing, decision-making and risk regulation.
As issues of risk cut across traditional disciplinary boundaries, the group is open to the use of multiple perspectives and research methods to better understand the complex relationship between risk and organizing, including organization theory, strategy, and accounting as well as social studies of finance or of science and technology.
Tommaso Palermo (London School of Economics), Julie Mayer (Ecole Polytechnique), Steve Maguire (University of Sydney), Mike Power (London School of Economics) and Christian Huber (Copenhagen Business School).
ORG welcomes any academic or practitioner interested in developing and sharing reflexive and critical knowledge on risk and risk management. If you are interested in joining the community, please send us an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org to enroll our mailing list.
ORG holds a bi-annual sub-theme on risk at EGOS (European Group of Organization Studies) and organizes special research events.
- ORG workshop “(Re)constructing risks for decision making”, 4th and 5th July 2022, Copenhagen Business School (Denmark) and online.
- EGOS 2021, Amsterdam, “Sub-theme 58: Organizing in an Era of Riskification”, organized by Julie Mayer Mike Power, Steve Maguire and Tommaso Palermo.
- EGOS 2019, Edinburg, “Sub-theme 17: Enlightening the Future through Riskwork”, organized by Mike Power, Steve Maguire and Julie Mayer.
- EGOS 2017, Copenhagen, “Sub-theme 16: Risk, Value and Virtue in the Audit Society”, organized by Mike Power, Steve Maguire and Roger Friedland.
- EGOS 2015, Athens, “Sub-theme 47: Risk and Organizations: Understanding Reason, Reflexivity and Responsibility in Risk Management”, organized by Robert P. Gephart Jr, Steve Maguire and Mike Power.
- EGOS 2012, Helsinki “Sub-theme 28: Risks of Organizing and Organizing of Risks », organized by Steve Maguire and Nelson Phillips
- Hardy, C., Maguire, S., Power, M., & Tsoukas, H. (2020). Organizing risk: Organization and management theory for the risk society. Academy of Management Annals, 14(2), 1032-1066. Available here
- Palermo, T., Power, M., & Ashby, S. (2017). Navigating institutional complexity: The production of risk culture in the financial sector. Journal of Management Studies, 54(2), 154-181. Available here
- Hardy, C., & Maguire, S. (2016). Organizing risk: Discourse, power, and “riskification”. Academy of Management Review, 41(1), 80-108. Available here
- Power, M. (Ed.). (2016). Riskwork: Essays on the organizational life of risk management. Oxford University Press.