The master’s program in Philosophy of Science at the LSE provided the philosophical training for me to pivot my academic career from the natural sciences to philosophy of science. After completing a master’s in biochemistry and structural biology, I arrived at the LSE hoping to transition from laboratory research to scientifically-engaged philosophical research. Although I lacked any formal training in philosophy of science, I found my coursework and the program as a whole to be both stimulating and rewarding.

When I accepted a place in the 2012-3 class at the LSE, I already knew that earning my master’s from this world-class philosophy department would make me a competitive candidate for selective doctoral programs in philosophy of science. But I only learned after arriving in London how the faculty, staff, and postgraduate students formed a collegial and supportive philosophical community. The quality of teaching and the availability of my professors belied the fact these professors are renowned scholars in their fields. Meeting with Prof. MiklosRedei over tea or for a post-lecture breakfast at the 4th Floor Restaurant was a common occurrence, with our discussions ranging from possible paper and dissertation topics to the merits of various doctoral programs. Similarly, Prof. Roman Frigg gladly scheduled countless additional office hours to help me understand the intricacies of quantum mechanics and its philosophical underpinnings. The relatively small number of postgraduates in the program fostered a congenial environment among my fellow students that supplemented the support we received from the faculty. The friendship and feedback of my professors and colleagues both enhanced my abilities as a philosopher and boosted my quality of life in London.

Now, with multiple offers of admission to doctoral programs, I can say without reservation that the MSc in Philosophy of Science at the LSE played a vital role in my development as a philosopher of science whilst providing me with one of the most enjoyable and memorable years of my life. I shall always look back upon my year at the LSE with the utmost fondness.