The Kuwait Programme organises research-focused seminars and breakfast seminars at LSE and in Kuwait. Below are forthcoming and past events organised by the Programme.
Forthcoming events will be listed here.
Past events and podcasts
- Kuwait goes to the Polls: Discussing the 2020 Parliamentary Elections
8 December 2020 | Abdullah al-Khonaini, Independent Researcher; Alanoud Al-Sharekh Ibtkar Strategic Consultancy; Michael Herb; Georgia State University; Daniel L. Tavana; Yale University.
- Reforming the Gulf Rentier State: From Patronage to Cash Grants?
18 February 2021 | Steffen Hertog, LSE; Yousef Al-Ebraheem, KFAS.
- Hitting the Glass Ceiling? Women's Political Participation in Kuwait
9 March 2021 | Zeynep Kaya, LSE; Lubna Al-Kazi, Kuwait University.
- Stuck in the 20th Century? Kuwait’s Urbanisation, Transport, and use of Public Space
25 May 2021 | Asseel Al-Ragam, Kuwait University; Sharifa AlShalfan, Independent Researcher; Alexandra Gomes, LSE; Adeel Muhammad, University of Leeds; Reem Alfahad, Independent Researcher.
- How Modern Education Forged an Arab Nationalist Identity in Kuwait
26 February 2020 | Talal Al-Rashoud, Kuwait University
- Assessing the Uncertain Progress of Economic Reforms in the Gulf
6 November 2019 | Robert Mogielnicki, Arab Gulf States Institute
- Foodscapes for Health Research: Using a Spatial Lens to Measure and Characterise the Physical and Virtual Food Environments in Kuwait
30 October 2019 | Saad AlSharrah, Dasman Diabetes Institute
- We Can Help You: Case Study of the Grassroots Online Breastfeeding Support Services in Kuwait
24 July 2019 | Fatima Boujarwah, Kuwait University
- Building the "New Kuwait": The Role of the Private Sector in the Post-Oil Dependent Political Economy
6 February 2019 | Sophie Olver-Ellis, LSE Kuwait Programme
- The Rentierization of the Private Sector in the GCC
15 January 2019 | Hend Al-Sulaiti
- The Doctor’s Hand in Kuwait’s Health Sector Supply Chain and Expenditure
12 December 2018 | Yousef Abdulsalam, Kuwait University
- From Tankers to Tablets: Is Kuwait Ready for a Digital Evolution?
28 August 2018 | Fahad Al-Sumait, Gulf University of Science & Technology.
- Kuwait’s Digital Health Maturity: Challenges, Opportunities, and Policy Recommendations
31 July 2018 | Dari Alhuwail, Kuwait University.
- Mixed Moralities: Cybersecurity in Kuwait, Egypt and the GCC
22 March 2018 | James Shires.
- Resource Urbanisms: Asia’s divergent city models of Kuwait, Abu Dhabi, Singapore and Hong Kong
23 January 2018 | Philipp Rode, LSE Cities
- The Paris Climate Change Agreement and The GCC
25 April 2017 | Aisha Al-Sarihi, LSE Kuwait Programme
- Dispelling Stereotypes: Women's Rights in the Gulf States
22 March 2017 | Lulu al-Sabah and Hatoon al-Fassi
- The Evolving Role of the Gulf States in the Palestinian-Israeli Conflict
28 February 2017 | Suliman Al-Atiqi
- Opportunities and Challenges for Young Female Entrepreneurs in Saudi Arabia
7 February 2017 | Sara Alshareef
- The Merchant Elite and Parliamentary Politics in Kuwait
17 January 2017 | Anastasia Nosova, LSE
- The Effects of Saudi-Iranian Rivalry on the Regional Security Complex
29 November 2016 | Matteo Legrenzi
- Oil and the Transformation of Urban Life in Kuwait
3 November 2016 | Farah Al-Nakib, American University of Kuwait
- Politics in Modern Arab Art
18 October 2016 | Sultan Sooud Al Qassemi
- Cities and the New Climate Economy: On the Role of Urban Form and Transport
27 September 2016 | Philipp Rode, LSE Cities
- Politics After Islamism: The Changing Rhetoric of Conservatism in the Gulf
22 September 2016 | Ahmed Dailami