I am a South African who has recently started their PhD in Human Geography and Urban Studies, under the supervision of Professor Gareth Jones and Dr Ryan Centner. I am broadly interested in the interaction between race (particularly Blackness), finance and the spatial imaginaries that inform urban policies.
Before starting my PhD, I was based at the Southern Centre for Inequality Studies, a research unit based at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, South Africa. I was a member of the unit’s Future of Work(ers) where I focused on the future of work in banking in South Africa and Mozambique. Prior to my work with the Southern Centre for Inequality Studies, I was a research intern at the Gauteng City-Region Observatory. I have a Bachelor of the Arts in Philosophy and Political Studies, Bachelor of the Arts Honours in International Relations, and Master of Science in Human Geography from the University of the Witwatersrand. In addition to the interest in the interaction between race, finance and spatial imaginaries, I am also interested in feminist and queer geographies.
Prof Gareth Jones
Dr Ryan Centner
Publications/Conference Papers/Working Papers
- Ballard, R.; Parker, A.; Butcher, S.; de Kadt, J.; Hamann, C.; Joseph, K.; Mapukata, S.; Mkhize, T.; Mosiane, N.; Spiropoulos, L. 2021. “Scale of Belonging: Gauteng 30 Years After the Repeal of the Group Areas Act”. Urban Forum, 32, pp. 131-139. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12132-021-09429-5
- Mapukata, S.; Verachia, S.; Webster, E. 2021. “Decoding Algorithmic Control”. Global Dialogue, 11 (3). [Online].
- Castel-Branco, R.; Mapukata, S.; Webster, E. 2020. “Work from home reserved for the privileged few in SA”. Business Day Live. [Online].
- LSE PhD Studentship (2021-2025)
- National Research Foundation Block Grant (2017-2018)
- University of the Witwatersrand Academic Merit Award (2016)
- Research Associate, Future of Work(ers) research project: Southern Centre for Inequality Studies, University of the Witwatersrand
- Research Intern: Gauteng City-Region Observatory, University of the Witwatersrand/University of Johannesburg/Gauteng Provincial Government