Engagement and Leadership theme rectangular banner - light green tinted green wall

Engagement and Leadership

Deepening public discussion on sustainability across the world

LSE will play a leading role in shaping the global discussion of ideas on sustainability and the challenges it raises. We will engage with public, private and non-governmental organisation actors to promote understanding and informed decision-making about sustainability around the world.

Theme lead

Professor Nicholas Stern, Chair of the Grantham Research Institute on climate change and the environment

Professor Nicholas Stern introduces the key theme of engagement and leadership Professor Nicholas Stern introduces the key theme of engagement and leadership
Click play to watch Professor Nicholas Stern introduce the Engagement and Leadership theme

Build a sustainable world

We will apply our research, knowledge, and skills from across the social sciences to promote action on sustainability and foster sustainable prosperity, well-being, poverty reduction and environmental justice around the world, engaging with national and international decision makers and all sections of society.

Lead by example

LSE will lead by example across the full range of our activities, consistent with our ambition of being the social science institution with the greatest global impact.

Collaboration at national international level

We will continue to build and contribute to national and international networks and alliances to promote dialogue and action on sustainability.

Examples of initiatives:

• Inform and engage with UK and international decision-making about climate change, including COP26 and the transition to net-zero emissions.

• Advise and input into international decision-making about the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), including through our affiliation to the United Nations Economic and Social Council.

• Staff and students to engage directly on sustainability issues both within the higher education sector and more widely helping to shape public policy.

• Play a leading role in local, national and international networks, such as the Alliance for Sustainability Leadership in Education (EAUC), and the Global Alliance of Universities on Climate.

• Promote discussion and debate about sustainability, including through our public events programme, website and media relations.

• Work with our local community, including other universities and businesses, to promote sustainable practices and policies.

• Educate and train new generations of leaders on sustainability.