LSE is delighted to announce ten new undergraduate scholarships, generously funded though the Uggla Family Scholarship Programme, for students with the greatest financial need including those from groups underrepresented in higher education. The scholarships are designed to help new students at LSE gain a global perspective, achieve academic excellence and develop civic leadership skills.
The scholarships offer students a generous financial package and also guidance, support and opportunities throughout their studies to help position themselves for future success.
For 2021 entry:
Seven scholarships are available for new LSE undergraduate students from the UK
Three scholarships are available for new LSE undergraduate students from any country outside the UK (who are classified as having overseas fee status). The Uggla Family has a preference for one overseas scholar to be from Canada.
Successful scholars will join the Uggla Family Scholars community and be supported throughout their undergraduate journey through a portfolio of activities and opportunities which include:
- pre-arrival support and guidance
- guaranteed accommodation in an LSE Hall of Residence
- expert academic mentoring
- access to an alumni buddy scheme
- a bespoke programme to develop academic and civic leadership skills
- a portfolio of careers opportunities, projects and internships
- engagement and mentorship with the Uggla family
To be considered for the Uggla Family Scholarships, applicants must have accepted a conditional or unconditional offer of admission on any undergraduate programme at LSE. Candidates must be from low-income households and be able to demonstrate financial need.
LSE is looking to support undergraduate students from underrepresented groups as set out in our Access and Participation Plan. We therefore are looking to encourage:
- applications from underrepresented Black, Minority, Ethnic (BME) backgrounds, especially from Black African/Caribbean, Pakistani and Bangladeshi heritage,
- applications from students who are care leavers,
- students of all gender identities to ensure gender balance across the ten scholarships,
- applications from Canada as one of Uggla Family Scholarships will be awarded to an offer holder from Canada.
UK Uggla Family Scholarships
The UK scholarship is worth £20,060 per year and will be renewed for each subsequent year of study, subject to satisfactory academic progress.
The annual award is made up of
- a tuition fee award of £4,250 per year
- a maintenance stipend of £15,810 per year to cover accommodation and other living costs.
Overseas Uggla Family Scholarships
The Overseas scholarship is worth £27,526 per year and will be renewed for each subsequent year of study, subject to satisfactory academic progress.
The annual award is made up of
- a tuition fee award of £11,216 per year
- a maintenance stipend of £15,810 per year to cover accommodation and other living costs
- a travel award of £500 per year to assist with travel costs.
Once you have received and accepted an offer of admission (conditional or unconditional) from LSE, you can apply for this scholarship by completing the LSE Undergraduate Scholarship Application 2021
By completing this form, we will ensure that you receive consideration for the Uggla Family Scholarship and any other LSE scholarship(s) for which you meet the eligibility criteria.
The deadline for receipt of applications from overseas applicants is 14 May 2021 (extended from original deadline of 29 April).
The deadline for receipt of applications from UK applicants is 01 June 2021.
Please contact the Financial Support Office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have any further questions.