Dr. Omar Hammoud-Gallego is a researcher and social data scientist, currently a Fellow in Political Science and Public Policy at the LSE School of Public Policy. His main research interests are in migration and refugee policies, as well as on the challenges to democratic legitimacy worldwide. He holds a PhD in political science from the LSE department of Government.
He has worked with the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime on corruption issues as well as for the ‘Global Democracy Insight for Cabinet Office’ project, based at the University of Cambridge.
Before joining the LSE, Omar worked as a consultant at the United Nations’ International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) in Italy and has also worked for the United Nations’ High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Colombia, among others.
As part of The Young Europeans Network of The3Million organisation, Omar recently co-authored a report on civic and democratic participation in London for the #LondonVoices project. Over the last years he has taught various seminars at the LSE, including ‘International Migration, Public Policy and Social Integration’, ‘Politics and Institutions in Europe’, and ‘Introduction to Political Science’. He now teaches ‘Political Science for Public Policy’.
For publications and more information on Omar’s work, go to www.omarhgallego.com
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Hammoud-Gallego, Omar & Luisa Feline Freier. Symbolic Refugee Protection: Explaining Latin America’s Liberal Refugee Laws, American Political Science Review, 2022, 1–20. doi:10.1017/S000305542200082X. [Open Access].
- Hammoud-Gallego, O. (2022) ‘A Liberal Region in a World of Closed Borders? The Liberalization of Asylum Policies in Latin America, 1990–2020’, International Migration Review, 56(1), pp. 63–96. doi: 10.1177/01979183211026202. [Open Access]
- Fernandez-Rodriguez, Nieves, Luisa Feline Freier, and Omar Hammoud-Gallego. (2020). Importancia y Limitaciones de Las Normas Juridícas Para El Estudio de La Politica Migratoria En América Latina. In Abordajes Sociojurídicos Contemporáneos para el Estudio de las Migraciones Internacionales., ed. Luciana Gandini. Mexico, D.F.: SUDIMER UNAM. ISBN: 978-607-30-3880-5
Articles Under Review
- Hammoud-Gallego, Omar. The Short-Term Effects Visa Restrictions on Migrants' Legal Status and Well-Being: A Difference-in-Differences Approach on Venezuelan Displacement. Currently with the Journal of Politics.
- Hammoud-Gallego, Omar, Roberto S. Foa, Xavier Romero-Vidal (2022). `What's on the news today?' How newspaper coverage inuences satisfaction with democracy in the United Kingdom: A topic modelling approach using Twitter data.
- Mcgovern, Patrick, Eiko Thielemann and Omar Hammoud-Gallego. Immigrant Labour Market Access, Varieties of Capitalism and the Limits of EU Policy Harmonisation.
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, Corruption in Ghana – People’s Experiences and Views. Vienna (2022). [Co-author]
- Hammoud-Gallego, O., Lawall, K., McRae, I., Moise, R., Wanga, S., & Bulat, A. (2021). London Voices: the journey to full participation. the3million (Young Europeans Network). https://bit.ly/32TyY7I
Academic Book Reviews
- Hammoud Gallego, O. (2022), Liliana Lyra, Jubilut, Marcia Vera, Espinoza, Gabriela, Mezzanotti. 2021. Latin America and Refugee Protection: Regimes, Logics and Challenges. Berghahn Books: New York. pp. 434. . Int Migr, 60: 234-237. https://doi.org/10.1111/imig.13036