PH451 meets to study advanced topics in the philosophy of physics under the guidance of one or more philosophers of physics at LSE.
Course Webpage (LSE Students Only)
PH451 provides an opportunity for students who wish to study advanced topics in the philosophy of physics for the purpose of writing a dissertation or preparing PhD applications. The course is not for credit and there is no required coursework, but attendants may be invited to give presentations over the course of the year. The topics vary year-to-year depending on student interest. Some past and possible topics include:
• Category theoretic methods in physics
• Foundations of quantum mechanics
• Philosophy of quantum field theory
• Philosophical problems of general relativity
• Philosophy of quantum gravity
• Philosophy of chaos and statistical mechanics
• Philosophy of classical mechanics and classical field theory
Incoming postgraduate students who are interested in participating in this meeting should contact Dr Bryan Roberts.