The research project addresses a broad gap in electric vehicles (EV) research in settings like Kuwait, namely a lack of attitudinal and customer preference research into perceptions of EVs. Research into the technical and infrastructural dimensions of EV-adoption in GCC countries is well underway, including research funded by KFAS and KISR in Kuwait. Much less well understood, however, are social attitudes towards EVs and EV-use in Kuwait, and how best to market EVs there once those attitudes are better understood. In addition, the research fills two smaller gaps in the existing research into attitudes towards EV-adoption in the Middle East. First, existing studies rely on survey data, but fail to explore the attitudes reported in surveys in more depth using qualitative data. Second, these same studies also concern prospective EV owners only, and fail to include the perspectives of early adopters.
- Keynote Speaker at AUCOB Conference, The Future of Sustainable Transport, (November 2023).
- Andri Ottesen, Sumayya Banna, Basil Alzougool, Sadeq Damrah, 'A Greener Kuwait: How Electric Vehicles can Lower CO2 Emissions', LSE Middle East Centre Kuwait Programme Paper Series (18). (October 2023). LSE Middle East Centre, London, UK.
- Sumayya Banna, Andri Ottesen, Basil Alzoughool, 'Reasons Why Only Kuwaiti Citizens Drive Electric Vehicles Despite Being Only a Quarter of the Population', World Electric Vehicle Journal - Volume 14, Issue 287, (October 2023).
- Andri Ottesen, Sumayya Banna, Basil Alzoughool, 'Women Will Drive the Demand for EVs in the Middle East Over the Next 10 Years -- Lessons from Today's Kuwait and 1960s USA', Energies 2023 - Volume 16, Issue 3756, (April 2023).
- Andri Ottesen, Dieter Thom, Rupali Bhagat, Rola Mourdaa, 'Learning from the Future of Kuwait: Scenarios as a Learning Tool to Build Consensus for Actions Needed to Realise Vision 2035', Sustainablity 2023 - Volume 15, Issue 7054, (April 2023).
- Sam Toglaw, Andri Ottesen, Yamen Nissi, 'Autonomous Vehicles: A Value Proposition for Emerging Markets - The Case of Kuwait', Proceedings 2023 - Volume 8, Issue 35, (March 2023).
- Andri Ottesen, Sumayya Banna, Basil Alzoughool, 'How to Cross the Chasm for the Electric Vehicle World’s Laggards—A Case Study in Kuwait',
- Andri Ottesen, Sam Toglwa, Faisal Alquaoud, Vladimir Simović, 'How to Sell Zero Emission Vehicles when the Petrol is almost for Free: Case of Kuwait', Journal of Management Sciences - Volume 9, Issue 2, (December 2022).
- Andri Ottesen, Sumayya Banna, Basil Alzougool and Vladimir Simović, 'Driving Factors for Women's Switch to Electric Vehicles in Conservative Kuwait', Journal of Women's Entrepreneurship and Education 55 (October 2022).
- Andri Ottesen, Sumayya Banna and Basil Alzougool, 'Attitudes of Drivers towards Electric Vehicles in Kuwait', Sustainability 14/9 12163 (September 2022).
- Andri Ottesen and Sam Toglaw, ‘Electric Vehicles – A Value Proposition for Emerging Markets. The Case of Kuwait’ presentation, 38th EBES Conference – Warsaw, 16-18 January 2022.
- Pre-study: Andri Ottesen and Sumayya Banna, 'Why so few EVs are in Kuwait and how to amend it', International Journal of Engineering and Technology, 10 (2), 2021.
- Presentation: Andri Ottesen, Sumayya Banna and Basil Alzougool, 'Attitudes towards Electric Vehicle in Kuwait: A Mixed Method Approach', 40th EBES Conference Istanbul, July 2022.
Andri is Assistant Professor in the Department of Management, Australian University Kuwait
Dr Faisal AlQaoud
Faisal is an Assistant Professor at the Arab Open University.
Dr Sumayya A. Banna
Sumayya is an Assistant Professor at the Arab Open University.
Dr Basil AlZougool
Basil is an Associate Professor in the Department of Business at the Arab Open University.