The LSE-Sawiris Scholarships are funded by the Sawiris Foundation for Social Development, a philanthropic organisation based in Egypt that contributes to the country’s development, creates sustainable job opportunities, and empowers citizens to build productive lives that realise their full potential.
Through the generosity of the Sawiris Foundation, LSE Cities is able to offer a fully funded place to an Egyptian Executive MSc in Cities applicant who works for a public or third sector organisation in Egypt.
Applications are particularly welcome from those working in government (local or national) or small, grassroots charities that aim to improve the wellbeing of their community.
LSE-Sawiris Scholarships are not available for the October 2022 intake of the Executive MSc in Cities. We plan to run the scheme again in an updated format for the October 2023 intake. This page will be updated in late 2022, so the information below may change.
Applicants to the LSE-Sawiris Scholarships must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be an Egyptian national residing in Egypt (preference will not be given to dual nationality holders).
- Be primarily employed by an Egyptian governmental organisation (local or national) or a non-profit organisation (outside of higher education) that works to improve the wellbeing of people in Egypt. Employees of local / grassroots non-profit organisations are especially encouraged to apply.
- Have a minimum of ten years of professional experience, ideally in an urban-related field.
- Have a good first degree, equivalent to a UK 2:1 or higher or equivalent professional qualification. Equivalent to 80% or higher from an Egyptian University.
- Be able to demonstrate English language proficiency. Details of how this can be demonstrated are available on the LSE website (the ‘higher’ level is required).
- Demonstrate a commitment to work in Egypt for two consecutive years after completing the program.
Please note that people who are employed by private sector organisations are not eligible to apply for the LSE-Sawiris Scholarships, even if their company is contracted for work by a government organisation.
Full details of the Executive MSc in Cities' eligibility requirements can be found on our How to Apply page.
If you are not sure if you meet our eligibility criteria then please send a copy of your CV or résumé to email@example.com. Please state in the email that you would like the team to check your eligibility for the LSE-Sawiris Scholarships.
Successful awardees of the LSE-Sawiris Scholarships will receive full tuition fee support for the Executive MSc in Cities.
The Sawiris Foundation will also provide transport to and from Cairo, as well as accommodation and living costs in London during teaching modules.
Further information about the application process will be made available in late 2022.
Applicants to the LSE-Sawiris Scholarships may wish to consider applying for the LSE Cities Scholarships and the Bloomberg Scholarship for Public Service. Please note that you will need to complete a separate application for in order to be considered for these scholarships.
Further details about eligibility, available support, deadlines and the application process for these schemes is available on our Scholarships page.