Support and FAQs

This page is designed to be a central place for current students to find links to central support services, as well as to various forms and important information. 

Assessment: extensions, deferrals etc.

Exam Period
For information about exams and what to expect, check out the Student Services Centre page here. You can also see our dedicated page here.

Extension requests
If you are completing coursework which forms part of a course's summative assessment (ie, counts towards your grade for the course), you may be able to request an extension under certain circumstances. Find out more here.

If you wish to defer your examination/assessment, you must do so before the assessment takes place, and with valid reasoning and supporting evidence. Find out more here

Your deferral form much be approved by the Chair of the Sub-Board of Examiners, who are the following for the 2021-22 academic year:

Exceptional Circumstances (ECs)

If having submitted an assessment or attempted an exam, you feel your performance was directly impacted by circumstances which are sudden, unforeseen, outside of your control you should submit ECs in order to allow the Exam Board to take your circumstances in to account. 

You should also submit ECs if you are unable to submit an assessment or exam and you did not have permission to defer. You should also submit ECs if you submitted an assessment after the deadline to allow the Exam Board to consider whether or not to apply late penalties. Find out more here.

Form Finder

Whether you are looking to transfer programme, request certificates/documentation or defer assessments, all forms can be found on the Student Services Form Finder.

If any forms do not work or if you have queries concerning the forms, please contact the Student Services Centre.

Taking a break from your studies

An interruption allows students to take an authorised break in their studies for one calendar year. Following the interruption period, you will return to your studies at the beginning  of the respective term. For example, an interruption at any point in the Lent term will require you to return at the beginning of the Lent term the following year.

You should discuss the options with your Academic Mentor before making the decision to interrupt. Requests to interrupt studies will usually only be considered on the basis of exceptional circumstances. Find out more here.

Permanent Withdrawal
This process allows you to permanently withdraw from your degree programme. However, you are strongly advised to consider all the options before taking this step because once completed it cannot be reversed. If you need support or advice you can speak to the Student Services Centre or the Students' Union Advice Centre. Find out more here.

Class Changes and Timetables

Class Changes
Classes and seminars are automatically allocated centrally by the Timetables team using the schools central software. Students may only request to change timetabled classes in exceptional circumstances and a number of departments have restricted class changes for practical reasons. You can make requests via LSE For You (LFY). Find out more here.

Class Timetables
Whether you want to know how to access your personal timetable, where to find the master timetables, or what to do if you discover a clash, you can find information here.

Disability & Wellbeing Service

Disability & Wellbeing Service
The Disability and Wellbeing Service offers confidential advice and support to all disabled students. This includes support for students with physical impairments, long-term health conditions, mental health conditions, specific learning difficulties, and autistic spectrum conditions. Find out more here.


Student Counselling
The Student Counselling Service offers a free, private and confidential space for you to discuss any concerns about your mental health. Our team of trained counselling professionals offer one-to-one appointments and workshops running throughout the year. Find out more here

My Adjustments (MAs)
MAs are LSE’s system of recording the adjustments and support which are deemed necessary to meet the needs of a disabled student. It is a document tailored to your individual circumstances and needs, and outlines the reasonable adjustments which the School will put in place to support your study. Find out more here.

Programme Regulations and Course Guides

If you are looking for your programme's regulations or course guides/information, you can find these via the LSE Calendar. For 2021-22, please see here.

You can also find your programme regulations in your programme's handbook.

Term Dates and Closures

For the most up to date information on term dates and school closures, see this link.

Office Hours and Maths Support Centre

Office hours are times when your Academic Mentor, course convenors and class teachers are available for one-to-one appointments or group sessions. You can use office hours to discuss your studies, problems you may be facing personally or academically, and ask questions about course content and homework. Office hours are incredibly useful so we would really encourage you to use them! Find out about them here.

Some office hours are held as part of the Maths Support Centre for undergraduate courses. Find out more here.