LSE's Asia Forum events were held between 2004-2014 and were an important and very public part of the School's strategy to enhance its long standing relationship with the rapidly developing Asian region. LSE has historically attracted many very talented students and staff from all major Asian countries. The School has a large and distinguished group of alumni in the region and has been active in building partnerships with business and governments for many years.
The LSE Asia Forum bought together LSE's key partners in the region. The Forum provided an opportunity for analysis of different perspectives on the economic, social, political and cultural contributions Asia is making to global development.
The First LSE Asia Forum took place inThailand on 18 March 2004, at the Plaza Athénée Hotel in Bangkok.
Transcripts and Programme
The forum programme is outlined below. Please click on the links to access the relevant transcripts.
- Opening session: speeches were delivered by:
- Panel one: Human Capital and Development: Asian knowledge economies
- Chair: Professor Henrietta Moore, LSE Deputy Director
- Dr Chizu Nakajima, Director, Financial Crime and Regulation, CASS Business School
- Professor Danny Quah, LSE Economics Department
- Najib Razak, Deputy Prime Minister, Malaysia
- Dr Chirayu Isarangkun Na Ayuthaya, Director General Bureau of the Crown Property
- MR Disnadda, CEO, Doi Tung Development Project
- Timothy Ong, Executive Chairman, Asia Inc
- Panel two: The New Global Market: emerging trends for Asia
- Chair: Professor Lord Meghnad Desai, Emeritus Professor of Economics, LSE
- Dr Teh Kok Peng, President, GIC Special Investments Private Limited
- Professor Wen Hai, Senior Deputy Director and the Inchcape Professor of International Economics at the China Center for Economic Research, Peking University
- Dr Razeen Sally, LSE International Relations Department
- Dr Supachai Panitchpakdi, Head of World Trade Organisation
- Captain Suchart Jaovisidha, Thai Minister of Finance
Previous Asia Forums
Find out about other Asia Forums and access podcasts, slides and photos at the links below.
Malaysia 2014 Building Asian futures: intergration, welfare and growth?
Beijing 2010, China and the World
Singapore 2008, The Politics of Knowledge
Delhi 2006 Challenging Globalisation
Hong Kong 2005 Managing the Dynamics of Growth