For each programme you apply for, you must upload a statement that describes your academic interest in, understanding of, and suitability for that programme, as well as your purpose and objectives in undertaking this graduate study. The statement of academic purpose is an important part of your application, and selectors are looking for evidence of your academic motivation and suitability, and of what you can contribute to the programme.
If you are applying for two programmes, please submit a separate statement of academic purpose for each programme.
Your statement(s) should be typed and no longer than two sides of A4 paper. There is no fixed word limit, but we expect statement(s) to be no longer than 1,000 - 1,500 words.
In your statement(s), you may wish to discuss the following:
- Motivation for undertaking the programme(s)
- Academic interests, strengths and background relevant to the programme(s)
- Areas of specific interest within the programme(s)
- Academic ambitions and/or research interests related to the programme(s)
- Any professional aspirations, and how academic work within the programme(s) might help you realise such aspirations
- Other relevant information, such as additional reading or research, work or other relevant experience that has informed your decision to apply for the particular programme(s)
Please note: some programmes have other specific requirements for statements – these are outlined in the sections below.
Please ensure that your statement(s):
- Are all your own work. If we discover this is not the case, your application may be cancelled
- Are well-written, well-structured and specific to the programme(s) applied for
- Are proofread before being uploaded, and the final correct versions are uploaded
- Only include that which is relevant to your programme choice(s). Additional information regarding unrelated extra-curricular activities, personal achievements or work experience should be included in your CV
- Have your name and the name of your chosen programme in the header or footer of every page