Choice within abortion care pathways in England and Wales
Katy is a PhD candidate in Population Studies and Demography. Her doctoral research uses mixed methods to examine choice within abortion care pathways in England and Wales.
Katy has ten years of professional experience conducting research and translating evidence into programmes and policy. She has worked at MSI Reproductive Choices (formerly Marie Stopes International), the Public Health England Behavioural Insights team, and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. She has consulted for the World Health Organization and Itad. Her research assesses social and structural determinants of healthcare-seeking behaviour, experience and access, with a focus on sexual, reproductive and maternal health.
Katy has a BA in Geography and International Development from the University of Sussex, an MSc in Health Policy, Planning and Financing from the LSE and LSHTM, and an MSc in Social Research Methods from the LSE. Her doctoral research is funded by the Economic and Social Research Council 1+3 PhD Studentship
Supervisors: Professor Ernestina Coast; Dr Tiziana Leone
- Footman, K. (2021). Interviewer effects on abortion reporting: a multilevel analysis of household survey responses in Côte d’Ivoire, Nigeria and Rajasthan, India. BMJ Open, 11(11), e047570
- Footman, K; Chelwa, N; Douthwaite, M; Mdala, J; Mulenga, D; Brander, C; Church, K (2021) ‘Treading the thin line: Pharmacy perspectives on medication abortion in Lusaka, Zambia’ Studies in Family Planning 52(2).
- Footman, K; Dessalegn, B; Hayes, G; Church, K (2020) Can universal health coverage eliminate unsafe abortion? Sexual and Reproductive Health Matters 28(2).
- Footman, K; Keenan, K; Reiss, K; Reichwein, B; Biswas, P; Church, K (2018)‘Medical abortion provision by pharmacies and drug sellers in low and middle income countries: a systematic review’ Studies in Family Planning 49(1): 57-70.
- Footman, K; Scott, R; Taleb, F; Dijkerman, S; Nuremowla, S; Reiss, K; Church, K (2017) ‘Feasibility of assessing the safety and effectiveness of menstrual regulation medications purchased from pharmacies in Bangladesh: a prospective cohort study’ Contraception 97(2): 152-159.
- Footman, K; Benova, L; Goodman, C; McLeod, D; Lynch, C; Penn-Kekana, L; Campbell, O (2015) ‘Using multi-country household surveys to understand who provides reproductive and maternal health services in low and middle-income countries: a critical appraisal of the Demographic and Health Surveys’ Tropical Medicine and International Health 20(5): 589–606.
- Footman, K; Chersich, M; Blaauw, D; Campbell, O; Dhana, A; Kavanagh, J; Dumbaugh, M; Thwala, S; Bijlmakers, L; Vargas, E; Kern, E; Becerra, F; Penn-Kekana, L (2014) ‘A systematic mapping of funders of maternal health intervention research 2000-2012’ Globalization and Health 10(1): 72-83.
- Footman, K; Garthwaite, K; Bambra, C; McKee, M (2014)‘Quality check: Does it matter for quality how you organise and pay for health care? A review of the international evidence’ International Journal of Health Services. 44(3): 473–499.
- Footman, K; Mitrio, S; Zanon, D; Glonti, K; Risso-Gill, I; McKee, M; Knai, C (2014) ‘Cross-border dialysis for tourists to the Veneto Region: a qualitative study’ Journal of Renal Care 41(1): 19–27.
- Footman, K; Knai, C; Baetan, R; Glonti, K; McKee, M (2014). ‘Policy summary: Cross-border health care in Europe.’ Brussels: World Health Organisation.
- Footman, K; Richardson, E; Roberts, B; Tumanov, S; Alimbekova, G; Pachulia, M; Rotman, D; McKee, M (2014) ‘Foregoing medicines in former Soviet countries: changes between 2001 and 2010’ Health Policy 118(2): 184-92.
- Footman, K; Richardson, E (2014) ‘Organization and Governance’ inRechel, B, McKee, M, Richardson, E (eds) Trends in health systems in the former Soviet Union. Brussels: World Health Organisation.
- Footman, K; Roberts, B; Stickley, A; Kizilova, K; Rotman, D; Mckee, M. (2013) ‘Smoking cessation and desire to stop smoking in nine countries of the former Soviet Union’ Nicotine & Tobacco Research 15(9):1628-33.
- Footman, K; Roberts, B; Mills, A; Richardson, E; Mckee, M. (2013) ‘Public satisfaction as a measure of health system performance: A study of nine countries in the former Soviet Union’ Health Policy 112(1-2):62-9.