This policy applies to all peer-reviewed research articles, including reviews not commissioned by publishers and conference papers, submitted for publication on or after 1 June 2022 arising from:
- NIHR Programmes, NIHR Personal Awards and NIHR Global Health Research Portfolio: research studies where the research costs are funded in whole or in part by the NIHR. Personal awards that do not fund research are out of scope of this policy.
- NIHR Infrastructure (including NIHR research units and schools): research studies where the majority of the research costs are funded by the NIHR.
Either the accepted manuscript or the final published version must be made immediately open access in Europe PMC with a CC BY 4.0 licence by the publication date (no embargo is permitted).
Out of policy scope: Monographs, book chapters and edited collections
How do I comply?
If you are submitting your paper to a subscription journal, regardless of whether you are choosing Gold or Green open access, you MUST include the following statement in the funding acknowledgement section of your paper and any cover letter or note accompanying the submission (delete sections in [ ] as appropriate):
"For the purpose of Open Access, the author has applied [a Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) licence] [an ‘Open Government Licence’] (or where permitted by the NIHR) [a Creative Commons Attribution No-derivatives (CC BY-ND) licence] to any Author Accepted Manuscript version arising".
Gold open access
- Publish your paper gold open access at no additional cost using one of LSE’s transformative publishing agreements. Check if your journal is included in LSE's transformative publishing agreements. Either you or the publisher MUST deposit the final published version in Europe PMC no later than the final date of publication
- When an Open Access payment is applicable, for example an APC, NIHR will pay reasonable fees required by a publisher to effect publication in line with the criteria of this policy.
- Open Access funding requests can be made using an NIHR Open Access request form. Authors and their research organisations should read the Open Access funding guidance for information on the terms and processes for accessing Open Access funding.
- NIHR will fund open access if the following conditions are met:
- CC BY 4.0 licence is chosen
- The journal has an agreement with the National Library of Medicine (NLM) to deposit the paper in Europe PMC no later than the date of publication.
Green open access
What else do I need to do?
Read more about NIHR’s open access policy.
Contact the Open Access team if you have any questions.