- Reconstructing Development Theory, London, Palgrave Macmillan, 2009
- Uganda: Landmarks in Rebuilding a Nation, Kampala, Fountain Press, 1996. (with John Munene, James Katorobo, and Petter Langseth)
- Providing for the Rural Poor: Institutional Change and Transformation in Uganda, Brighton, Institute of Development Studies, 1992, Republished Kampala, Fountain Press, 1993
- The World Economy Since the War, London, Macmillan, 1985 (Reprinted 1985, 1986, 1988)
- International Money and Capitalist Crisis, London Heinemann, 1983, (Reprinted 1986)
- Colonialism and Underdevelopment in East Africa, London, Heinemann, 1973 (Reprinted 1974, 1978, 1984, republished 1992)
- African Attitudes, Johannesburg, South African Institute of Race Relations, 1963
- ‘Representation and Exclusion in Partial Democracies: The Role of Civil Society Organisations’ Journal of Development Studies, http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00220388.2017.1344647
- 'State failure and success in Zimbabwe and Uganda: The logic of political decay and reconstruction in Africa', Journal of Development Studies, 44(3) 339-367, 2008.
- 'From corporatism to liberalisation in Zimbabwe: economic policy regimes and political crisis 1980-1997', International Political Science Review, 26(1) 93-106, 2005.
- 'Managing an Aid Relationship Under Political Stress: Facilitating a Return to Good Governance and Growth in Zimbabwe', A Briefing Paper for the International Development Committee, House of Commons, UK, 2009.