Red and yellow squares on a purple field

Educating for Global Impact: developing the leaders of tomorrow

An evening programme of debate, discussion and discovery about the role of education in developing the leaders of tomorrow
Let us know if you can make it - RSVP here

Let us know if you can attend

• RSVP
  • Name

Date: Monday 24 October 2022* 

Time: Arrival from 5.30pm, panel discussion 6-7.45pm, drinks reception to follow 

Location: The Great Hall, Marshall Building, LSE campus, London WC2A 2AE

About the event

We are living through a time of tumultuous change and global challenges. Climate change, geopolitical crises, pandemics and economic shocks are just some of the issues that we need innovative approaches to solve. How can higher education develop the global leaders of tomorrow? What is the role of education in drawing out the talent and capabilities of our students so that we develop leaders genuinely able to bring about change?  

Join LSE Director Minouche Shafik, Pro-Director (Education) Dilly Fung, and members of our LSE community to explore how innovative practices in partnership with students, policy makers, and business leaders can prepare students to become the leaders we need to face today’s global challenges. 

*Due to rail strike action, this event has been re-scheduled from 5 October to 24 October - apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Welcome from Dilly Fung

The evening will mark Dilly Fung's last event at LSE as outgoing Pro-Director (Education). During her time at LSE, Dilly has developed an inclusive, scholarly community in which every student is inspired by and contributes to LSE’s research-rich intellectual culture.

Panellists

panellist-emma-mcoy

Emma McCoy

Emma is the new LSE Pro-Director for Education and a Professor in the Department of Statistics.

She has a broad interest in education, particularly in Mathematics and Data Science. She is a member of the Royal Society’s Advisory Committee for Mathematics Education (ACME) and a governor of the Imperial College London Mathematics School. Her current research interests are in developing time-series, wavelet, and propensity score methodology for robust estimation of continuous treatment effects, particularly in a transport setting.

Emma is interested in the use of statistics in policy and social science settings. She is a Fellow of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (IMA) and the Royal Statistical Society (RSS) and is a member of the Metropolitan Police Research Ethics committee.

panellist-zulum-elumogo

Zulum Elumogo

Zulum is a Special Advisor at Freuds Communications. He was General Secretary (President) and Chairman of the LSE Students’ Union from 2018 to 2020, making him the first black man to hold the position in the LSE’s 125-year history. During his time as General Secretary, he was also a member of the governing Council for the London School of Economics.  

Zulum is a passionate advocate for the Arts, excellence in education and leadership development. He is currently on the Board of Directors for the Fair Education Alliance, Dance Umbrella and the Barbican Centre, Europe’s largest multi-arts venue where he is the Centre’s youngest-ever Board member. 

panellist-freda-katunda-olsen

Freda Katunda Olsen

Freda is the Co-Founder & CEO of LEAP, a learning and capacity-building platform for African healthcare workers. LEAP's platform is designed to provide high-quality, affordable, and flexible learning experiences to healthcare professionals, facilities, and governments across Africa. She leads with over 10 years of experience working in public health, healthcare consulting, and digital health, with hopes of reducing health and social inequalities globally. 

panellist-alice-zhao

Alice Zhao

Alice brings a wealth of experience from her work in the charity sector, particularly on recruitment and policy in the UK. With degrees in Law and Public Policy, she seeks to promote interdisciplinary and intersectional perspectives. Alice currently works for JAN Trust and Mind in Kingston, focusing on counterextremism, domestic abuse, and hate crime, and mental health, respectively. 

panellist-thomas-smith

Thomas Smith

Tom is Associate Professor in Environmental Geography at LSE. He teaches on a number of environmental courses, focussing on innovative technology-enhanced experiential learning and field-based education in geography.

panellist-minouche-shafik

Minouche Shafik - Chair

Minouche Shafik is a leading economist, whose career has straddled public policy and academia. She was appointed Director of the London School of Economics and Political Science in September 2017.

Innovation and networking at LSE  

Alongside a panel discussion chaired by Director Minouche Shafik, you’ll hear from LSE students about how a research-rich education and learning beyond the classroom gives them the power to make real change in the world as the leaders of tomorrow. Explore these themes further through our interactive exhibition in our new Marshall Building, where we will look at how we are working to disrupt the status quo and bring forward innovative approaches to education for social good.  

You’re invited to continue the conversation with invitees from across research, policy and business sectors, as well as fellow LSE students, staff and School leadership during a drinks reception. This will also be Dilly Fung's final event as Pro-Director (Education). Dilly looks forward to celebrating all that we have achieved together as a School community as she says farewell to LSE.