EMPA globe

How to Apply

Making sense of policy

Thank you for your interest in the EMPA programme. Please see below for information on how to make your application.

Application status: Open

We are currently accepting applications for December 2017. As the programme operates a rolling admissions there are no deadlines, however we encourage prospective students to submit applications early to avoid disappointment.

Entry requirements

The minimum entry requirements for the EMPA programme are:

  • 2:1 degree or higher, 3.5 or higher GPA or an equivalent international qualification*
  • Higher standard of English
  • Five or more years work experience*
  • Personal statement
  • Resume or CV
  • Two references - either two academic OR one professional (most recent employer) and one academic OR two professional, if you have been out of university education for more than 10 years

*If your qualifications or experience are slightly below the requirement but you would still like to discuss the programme, please contact the EMPA Programme Manager on execmpa@lse.ac.uk or +44 (0)20 7955 7991.

The application process

  • All applications must go through the Graduate Admissions Office. We cannot accept applications sent directly to us and any queries must be directed to the Graduate Admissions Office.  
  • Application materials and instructions are available on the Graduate Admissions web site. Apply now for graduate programmes.

Further information            

Answers to questions about the admissions process can be found in the Graduate Admissions FAQ's.             

If you still find you have more questions about the application process and how to apply, please contact Graduate Admissions.                        

Telephone: +44 (0)20 7955 7160                     

Postal Adress:            

Graduate Admissions,
The London School of Economics and Political Science,
PO Box 13420,
Houghton Street,
United Kingdom

Visa information

If you have EU nationality or you are from Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you do not need immigration permission to come to the UK to study or work.  If you have dual nationality, and you choose to come to the UK using your EEA or Swiss passport, you do not need immigration permission. 

All other non-EEA nationals coming to the UK to study need immigration permission to do so. Some nationals can apply for permission at the airport but others must apply at the embassy. If you require a visa for the EMPA, you will need to apply for a short-term study visa. As this programme is part-time, you cannot enter the UK on a Tier 4 visa. Short-term study visas last for 6 months, therefore you will be required to re-apply during your time on the programme.

To find out what you need to do to obtain the correct kind of immigration permission, please read through the information provided on the School's International Student Visa Advice Team (ISVAT) pages via the links below:

Visa information for executive master's students
Contact ISVAT