Dr Sally Barton is the Mathematics Study Adviser for the Department’s first year undergraduate students. As a Study Adviser, she can help with issues surrounding transition to university, getting to grips with abstract mathematics and academic insecurities, and any initial concerns you may have about studying at LSE.
She works closely with the Student Wellbeing Service to make sure students get the help they need, as well as with the Academic Mentors who can refer you to Sally for support.
Study skills and resources
You are at LSE because you are good at mathematics, and you have good A-Level results to show this. However, your study skills from school will not get you the best results at university. The three books listed below may help you start to think differently – Sally has physical copies so you can see which you prefer:
There are lots of websites where you can find study skills advice you might like to try on the links below. We also have our own website about Study Skills for Mathematics, which we would recommend reading.
- Success in Mathematics - this is an American website which contains lots of good advice specifically for mathematics.
- Maths Centre - if you struggle remembering the actual mathematics you need help with. You can choose a resource with fits how you like to learn. You can also find a recap of what you should know from A-Level.
- Helping Engineers Learn Mathematics - this provides a good recap on the basics and some undergraduate level PDF resources.
We encourage you to find a study buddy or study group to give mutual support, but if you find you are struggling with your study skills and spending hours on your work, please book an appointment to see Sally.
Booking an appointment
There are three ways to book an appointment with Sally:
- If you are available on Tuesdays 10-11am, please see the StudentHub booking page where there will be three 20 minute slots available each week.
- There are slots available on Mondays 2-3pm, which follows MA103 lectures.
- Each Wednesday from Week 6 of Lent Term, there will be a drop-in slot (no appointment necessary) from 12.30-1.30.
- Or, you can email StudyAdviserAppt@maths.lse.ac.uk to arrange alternative times. Sally is available at various times during the week and meeting online is also an option.
The appointments are individual but you can bring someone else for support if you need to.