IE University

LSE offers undergraduate students the opportunity to spend a full academic year at IE University in Spain

The GO LSE exchange with IE University is offered as part of the CIVICA Engage Track.


Established in 1973 and founded in Madrid, IE University is a private university with campuses in Madrid, Community of Madrid and Segovia, Castile and León, (Spain) with a student body numbering at around 7,000.

You can read more about Milan on the IE University website 

Academic Information

IE University offers courses across five schools, these schools include: architecture and design, business, science and technology, international relations and law.

Visit IE University webpage to browse available courses.

As GO LSE students at IE University will be part of the CIVICA Engage track, they will be expected to take an Engage course as part of their programme.

The IE University exchange is additional to the requirements of your LSE degree. Having completed the year at IE University, you will then return to LSE to study the final year of your programme. Your year overseas will not count towards your final degree classification at LSE, but you will be issued with a separate IE University transcript providing details of your results.



Further details of the accommodation available and support for finding private housing can be found here.


The scheme is open to all second year LSE undergraduate students (or third year BSc Philosophy, Politics and Economics students) who have been accepted onto the CIVICA Engage Track. Generally we require applicants to have passed all of their first year exams (without resits) and to have achieved a 2:1 average across their courses.

Fees, Living Costs and Financial Support

Tuition fees

GO LSE students are not required to pay any tuition fees to IE University to participate in the exchange. Instead, you will continue to pay tuition fees directly to LSE. Your tuition fee while studying abroad is significantly reduced as compared to when you are on campus. For further information, please visit our fees and funding webpage

Living costs

Further details on living costs can be found here.

Financial support

Please visit our fees and funding webpage for further information.

Travel, Health Insurance and Visas


GO LSE exchange students are expected to make their own travel arrangements. If you are eligible for Student Finance, you may be able to recoup part of the cost of up to three return journeys between your home and your host institution.

GO LSE exchange students will be covered under LSE's Travel Insurance policy, following completion of the necessary risk assessment document.

Health Insurance

Though LSE Travel Insurance will cover emergency treatment, however, it won’t cover regular services.


Non-EU students (including British citizens) will need to apply for a long-stay student visa to study in Spain. Citizens of European Union countries do not need a visa to study in Spain.

For up-to-date information, please check this page regularly.