Research Proposal (MRes/PhD in Management programmes)
For MRes/PhD in Management programmes we require an outline research proposal.
Use your outline research proposal as an opportunity to showcase your research and methodology interests to the selectors.
Your research proposal will play an important role in the evaluation of your application. The selectors will place particular weight on how you are able to tackle a question and propose a viable methodology to solve it.
The outline research proposal demonstrates your academic potential, research interests, and it helps selectors in identifying potential supervisors.
The proposal word limit is 1500 words maximum.
In addition to the guidance given in Supporting Documents, your research proposal should outline and include the following:
- Working Title: Please state your research question or the working title of your research at the start of your research proposal.
- Keywords: Please include on the first page of the proposal up to 10 keywords or phrases which accurately reflect the content of your project (e.g., 'digital innovation’, ‘fintech’, 'identity’, ‘gender’, ’workplace discrimination’, ‘proactivity’, 'digital platforms').
- Introduction to the research idea: What is your general topic? What questions do you want to answer? Why do you think these are interesting and important questions that deserve to be answered? What are the main hypotheses of the work?
- Literature: What is the key literature and its limitations?
- Methodology: What research methods do you intend to use? What are the strengths and limitations of your chosen methodology?
- Conclusion: In what ways will your ideas contribute to the field, and how will this help to change our understanding of your research topic?
- Bibliography: Please clearly reference any literature you have used in your research proposal (not included in the word count).
We understand that as you undertake your study and enhance your research skills during your MRes, your initial idea may change, and we therefore do not expect this idea to be fixed but the outline research proposal should demonstrate your research interests.