Day 1: Scope of provisions on subsidies and State aid (19 May 2023, 2pm-6pm)
- The role, purpose and operation of State aid and subsidies provisions.
- The definitions in EU law and the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement.
- The role of State resources in the definition of the scope of the provisions.
- The practical criteria to identify when a measure is imputable to a public authority.
Day 2: Advantage and selectivity/specificity (26 May 2023, 2pm-6pm)
- The difference between, and role of, advantage and selectivity/specificity.
- Advantage and the provision of public services.
- Advantage and public investments, including in infrastructure.
- Approaches to the notion of selectivity/specificity.
Day 3: Special focus on tax measures (2 June 2023, 2pm-6pm)
- The distinct complexity of the application of the rules to tax measures.
- Trends in the case law and practical issues.
- The lawfulness of tax rulings with EU State aid provisions and beyond.
- The legal status of digital taxes and similar measures.
Day 4: Procedure and enforcement (9 June 2023, 2pm-6pm)
- The enforcement of EU State aid rules by the European Commission.
- The application of EU State aid law at the national level and the role of courts.
- The UK system for the enforcement of subsidies provisions.
- Remedies and dispute settlement in the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement.