Key learning outcomes include achieving a deep understanding of the relevant debates and differing perspectives on the key issues below, as well as developing the analytical skills and building in-depth empirical knowledge to formulate independent and coherent views on these issues.
• Can China avoid a financial crisis following its ongoing credit boom?
• How does “shadow banking” operate in China? What opportunities does it create? What risks does it pose?
• Why does the world economy continue to rely on the U.S. dollar despite the risks associated with such a system?
• Will the Chinese Yuan (RMB) replace the U.S. dollar as the world’s leading currency?
• Why has the practice of central banking changed in China and elsewhere since the crisis?
• How can China and other emerging and developing economies best respond to the perils and opportunities arising from international financial integration?
• What are the origins of banking crises and systemic risk?
• In what ways has financial regulation changed in China and globally since the financial crisis?
• How effective will these new regulatory measures be in containing systemic risk and preventing crises?