More specifically, our research aims to strengthen the theoretical and applied study of contemporary Greece & Cyprus; to enhance the understanding of society, politics and the economies of Greece & Cyprus; to increase the visibility of Greece & Cyprus in the international academic literature and policy debates; and to inform the design and implementation of policy in Greece & Cyprus.
To achieve these goals, we engage in a number of research activities, including individual-led research, team-based projects, as well as wider collaboration with colleagues from other universities and research institutions. We also offer various research and visiting fellowships for those who want to conduct research at the LSE, aiming at facilitating the exchange of knowledge and ideas and the cross-fertilisation of research between the Hellenic Observatory and wider networks.
The core research team at the Hellenic Observatory covers three main areas of research within the geographical contexts of Greece (and Cyprus), Southeast Europe and the European Union:
- Public policy, policy processes and political economy
- International relations and foreign and security policy
- Economic geography and regional integration
- Greek prime ministers since 1974 and the challenges of control and coordination of the government from the centre.
- The domestic impact of EMU in Greece and the management of the crisis by the EU
- Debt crisis and labour market adjustment in Greece: unemployment and wage adjustments at the national, sectoral and regional levels
- Austerity and debt sustainability: the role openness and institutional quality
- Policing the crisis - the views and experiences of Greek police officers in times of turmoil
- The economic geography of regional and national development in Greece
- Regional policy and spatial disparities in the post-transition Balkans
- Regional cooperation and economic integration in Southeast Europe
- Greek foreign and defence policy within the context of the European Union and Southeast Europe
- Greece and regional cooperation in Southeast Europe
The core and associated staff of the Hellenic Observatory engage in a number of in-house, collaborative and commissioned projects along the thematic lines and geographic focus defined by our strategic aims and mission.
Find out More
External Research Projects
Research Calls on specific topics on contemporary Greece
Find out More