Elena is a Research Officer at the LSE Centre for Women, Peace and Security, working on the ‘Gendered Peace’ project. She has previously worked as a visiting research fellow at the Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies, University of Notre Dame, a postdoctoral teaching fellow at Bard College Berlin, and a work package coordinator and researcher in the EU-funded project Cultures of Governance and Conflict Resolution in Europe and India at the Central European University.
Her research has explored issues of gender, intersectionality, and political economy in conflict-affected societies, with a particular focus on Bosnia and Herzegovina, Colombia, and North Macedonia. Her work has appeared in different edited volumes and international peer-reviewed journals, such as International Peacekeeping, Politics & Gender, Third World Quarterly, and Civil Wars.
Languages spoken: English, Spanish, Macedonian, Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian
- 'Feminised Work, Invisible Labour: Against the Formal-Informal Economy Dichotomy', 2020. In Tarja Väyrynen, Élise Féron, Peace Medie, Swati Parashar & Catia Confortini (eds.) Routledge Handbook of Feminist Peace Research.
- Economies of peace: Economy formation processes in conflict-affected societies. London: Routledge. 2019 [co-edited with Werner Distler and Birte Vogel]
- “The Mother, the Wife, the Entrepreneur? Women’s Agency and Microfinance in a Disappearing Welfare State.” Civil Wars 20: 2 (2018)
- “Economies of Peace: Processes of Economy Formation in Conflict-affected Societies.” Civil Wars 20: 2 (2018) [with Werner Distler and Birte Vogel]
- “EU Support to Civil Society Organisations in Conflict-Ridden Countries: A Governance Perspective from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cyprus, and Georgia.” International Peacekeeping 23: 2 (2016) [with Krisoffer Liden, Nona Mikhelidze and Birte Vogel]
- “Space, Class and Peace: Spatial Governmentality in Postwar Bosnia and Herzegovina.” In Spatialising Peace and Conflict: Mapping the Production of Places, Sites and Scales of Violence, ed. Annika Björkdahl, Susanne Buckley-Zistel, 141-158. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016.
- “Government of Peace and Resistive Subjectivities: Autonomy, Ethnicity and Gender in Northeast India and Bosnia and Herzegovina” In Cultures of Governance and Peace: A Comparison of EU and Indian Theoretical and Policy Approaches, ed. J. Peter Burgess, Oliver P. Richmond, Ranabir Samaddar. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2016 [with Atig Ghosh].
- “Agency, Autonomy and Compliance in (Post-)Conflict Situations: Perspectives from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cyprus and Jammu and Kashmir.” In Cultures of Governance and Peace: A Comparison of EU and Indian Theoretical and Policy Approaches, ed. J. Peter Burgess, Oliver P. Richmond, Ranabir Samaddar. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2016 [with Sumona Das Gupta, Birte Vogel and Navnita Chadha Behera].