IE University

This page contains additional information for IE University 

Your next steps:


Once you have completed your registration and it has been processed, you will be sent your Admission Letter which will be necessary should you need to obtain a visa.

Apply for a student visa

British citizens and other non – EU nationals will need to apply for a visa to study in Spain. Citizens of EU or EEA countries will not require a visa. 

Details of visa requirements for studying Spain can be found on the Spanish government website. 

The GO LSE team is not legally permitted to give you advice on obtaining a visa to enter Spain. You will be responsible for making your own arrangements and we recommend starting the process at the earliest opportunity.

Flights and accommodation

LSE strongly advises that you do not book non-refundable flights or make binding accommodation arrangements until you have obtained your visa.

IE University has some accommodation available for exchange students, but this is not guaranteed. You will be contacted when you are able to apply. Further details of the accommodation available and support for finding private housing can be on IE Universities housing webpage. 

LSE Notification of Travel and Travel Insurance

All students undertaking travel as part of their studies must complete the Travel Notification Form. You will need to have confirmed your proposed departure and return date before completing the form (these can be amended later).

After you have submitted the form, it will be reviewed by LSE's Health and Safety team. Once approved, you will receive confirmation via email.

LSE Travel Insurance:

By completing the mandatory Travel Notification Form, you will automatically be covered under LSE's Travel Insurance policy.

  • The insurance will cover you for losses sustained during your period of cover, including against lost, stolen, and accidentally damaged property.
  • It will also cover you for medical emergencies. However, please note that this is not comprehensive medical cover, and therefore does not necessarily fulfil your host institutions health insurance requirements.
  • The insurance will not cover flight cancellations or curtailments as a result of COVID-19. Nor will the policy cover the costs associated with mandatory quarantining or COVID-19 testing.
  • The insurance will not cover travel that is taken outside the scope of your exchange programme. 

For further details visit the LSE Travel Insurance webpage and contact the Health and Safety Team if you have any questions.


You are strongly encouraged to procure your own travel insurance, particularly if you intend to travel elsewhere within Spain or the EU during the year as this is not covered under LSE’s policy.

Similarly, you may wish to insure particular high value items you will be travelling with such as your phone or laptop as these may not be covered under some travel insurance schemes. 

Health Insurance

To study at IE, all students are required to have complete health insurance that covers any illness or accident that may occur during their stay in Spain. 

Other travel requirements

You should consult the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office travel guidance for Spain  prior to travelling to ensure that you adhere to any country specific requirements for Covid-19 vaccinations or testing and to familiarise yourself with the national emergency procedures such as the emergency services phone number.

Please see the FCDO Spain webpage for more information.