16x9 CEU Vienna 3


Information for outbound LSE students

This page contains additional information for CEU

Your next steps:


Once you have completed the application to CEU, you will be able to register via their online portal.

Please visit the CEU website for the full timeline of administrative processes you will need to undertake after being accepted. 

Apply for a student visa

Once you completed the onboarding process for CEU, you will receive a ‘certificate of acceptance for visa purposes, which is a necessary document when it comes to making your visa application. 

You can find the full details of the visa process and requirements on the Austrian Education Agency website

The GO LSE team is not legally permitted to give you advice on obtaining a visa. You will be responsible for making your own arrangements and we recommend starting the process at the earliest opportunity.

Flights and accommodation

LSE strongly advises that you do not book non-refundable flights or make binding accommodation arrangements until you have obtained your visa.

CEU has a range of accommodation available in Vienna via partnerships with local student housing providers. Full details can be found on the CEU accommodation webpage, including advice for arranging private rented housing.


Please note that if you are staying in Austria on a student visa then you must notify the authorities of your address. More information can be found on the CEU residence documents webpage.

LSE Notification of Travel and Travel Insurance

All students undertaking travel as part of their studies must complete the Travel Notification Form. You will need to have confirmed your proposed departure and return date before completing the form (these can be amended later).

After you have submitted the form, it will be reviewed by LSE's Health and Safety team. Once approved, you will receive confirmation via email.

LSE Travel Insurance:

By completing the mandatory Travel Notification Form, you will automatically be covered under LSE's Travel Insurance policy.

  • The insurance will cover you for losses sustained during your period of cover, including against lost, stolen, and accidentally damaged property.
  • It will also cover you for medical emergencies. However, please note that this is not comprehensive medical cover.
  • The insurance will not cover flight cancellations or curtailments as a result of COVID-19. Nor will the policy cover the costs associated with mandatory quarantining or COVID-19 testing.
  • The insurance will not cover travel that is taken outside the scope of your exchange programme. 

For further details visit the LSE Travel Insurance webpage and contact the Health and Safety Team if you have any questions.


You are strongly encouraged to procure your own travel insurance, particularly if you intend to travel elsewhere within Austria or the EU during the year as this is not covered under LSE’s policy.

Similarly, you may wish to insure particular high value items you will be travelling with such as your phone or laptop as these may not be covered under some travel insurance schemes. 

Health Insurance

To study in Austria on a student visa you will be required to have comprehensive private health insurance – it is your responsibility to arrange this. If you are a citizen of the EU or EEA, then you may fulfil this requirement with a valid EHIC.

CEU has its own student health insurance policy which you may enrol in. Full detail can be found on CEU’s health insurance webpage.

Additionally, British citizens or residents eligible for the Global Health Insurance Card (or remaining eligible for an EHIC) should ensure they have one and it is valid for their time in Sweden. However, please note that a GHIC will not fulfil the health insurance requirements. Full details of eligibility and how to obtain a GHIC can be found on the government website

Other travel requirements

You should consult the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office travel guidance for Austria prior to travelling to ensure that you adhere to any country specific requirements for Covid-19 vaccinations or testing and to familiarise yourself with the national emergency procedures such as the emergency services phone number.

Please see the FCDO Austria webpage for more information. 


Prior to the beginning of your first semester, you will need to collect your CEU ID card in order to access university facilities. You should receive information from CEU regarding your orientation activities.

As mentioned above, please ensure you comply with the accommodation registration requirements of your Residence Permit should you be utilising one.