Student Shadowing provides a unique opportunity for Year 12 and 13 students from schools and colleges in the UK to gain an insight into studying at LSE.
Students spend half a day at LSE shadowing an undergraduate student. As part of the day, they will:
- attend an undergraduate lecture
- have a tour of the campus
- quiz students on their experience of university life
We hope that shadowing a student will allow participants to make an informed decision about whether to apply to LSE.
In 2022/23, over 400 students took part in LSE's Student Shadowing Scheme. If you would like to learn more about what the day entails from a student’s perspective and how to maximise your experience on the Scheme, have a read of Ramesh’s Blog.
Student Shadowing runs from October to March and applications will open in September 2023. In the meantime there are other opportunities to Visit LSE or sign up to our mailing list to receive regular updates.
Students accepted onto the Student Shadowing scheme will shadow a current undergraduate student (Student Ambassador) at LSE for half a day.
Typical visit programme (2.5 hrs):
- A Student Ambassador will meet you at an agreed meeting point on the LSE campus. You can expect to be in a shadowing group with around 5 other prospective students.
- Your Student Ambassador will lead a campus tour, answering any questions you may have on the way.
- You will attend a relevant lecture with your Student Ambassador.
- You will be given an LSE branded Keep-Cup and taken for a complimentary drink and chat with your Student Ambassador in one of our student cafes. The LSE Keep-Cup is yours to keep and is part of LSE Student Marketing, Recruitment and Study Abroad’s Green Impact strategy, helping towards ensuring “a sustainable future for the social sciences” (LSE’s 2030 strategy)
- You will complete a brief online evaluation form about your day and your experience of the Student Shadowing scheme.
- There will be an opportunity afterwards for you to speak to someone from the Student Marketing, Recruitment and Study Abroad team with any queries about admissions or studying at LSE.
You may also be interested in combining your Student Shadowing day with an LSE public lecture or to experience the opportunities and attractions in the area around campus – see our information on london Life.
If you would like to learn more about what the day entails from a student’s perspective and how to maximise your experience on the Scheme, have a read of Ramesh’s Blog.
“It was really insightful and helped me to understand what a lecture would consist of.”
"Attending this shadowing scheme has allowed me to get a student’s insight into life at LSE, which has helped me decide that I would like to apply to LSE next year."
"It was great to see what a lecture is really like and how students spend their days at LSE. The student I shadowed was really friendly and helpful."
“LSE has more of a campus feel than I thought it had.”
“Speaking to an undergrad gave me a better understanding of student life at LSE and in London.”
Student Shadowing is open to Year 12 and 13 students from schools and colleges in the UK. The scheme is highly competitive. Therefore, we would encourage applications from students who are on track to meet our minimum entry requirements for the programme/subject they are interested in shadowing. Refer to our individual degree programme pages for the entry requirements.
Student Shadowing runs from October to March each year and applications for shadowing in 2022/23 are now closed.
Applications will reopen in September 2023.
The LSE Travel Fund contributes towards the cost of standard rail or coach travel to and from the LSE campus for eligible prospective undergraduate students in the UK living more than 50 miles away from LSE.
For further information, check your eligibility and apply - see LSE Travel Fund.