To apply as a visiting research student, you apply in the same way as for our MRes/PhD in Finance programme, with the same entry criteria. You can find the entry criteria for the MRes/PhD Finance here.
We welcome applications for research programmes that complement the academic interests of members of staff at the School, and we recommend that you investigate staff research interests before applying. However, please do not get in touch with faculty at this stage.
We carefully consider each application on an individual basis, taking into account all the information presented on your application form, including your:
- academic achievement (including predicted and achieved grades)
- academic statement of purpose
- GRE/GMAT (if applicable)
- outline research proposal
- sample of written work
See further information on supporting documents
You may also have to provide evidence of your English proficiency, although you do not need to provide this at the time of your application to LSE. See our English language requirements.
Competition for places at the School is high. This means that even if you meet our minimum entry requirement, this does not guarantee you an offer of admission.
Statement of Academic Purpose
Your Statement of Academic Purpose should clearly explain the below:
- Why you want to do research in finance
- How your studies and experience make you suitable to do research in finance
Your Research Interests should be submitted in place of the Outline Research Proposal, along with your application form and other required supporting documents, via the LSE online application system.
- Which aspect of the PhD do you think you will like the most? Which will you dislike the most? Why? (Max. 200 words)
- Tell us about your favourite paper in financial economics. What do you like about it? How would you improve it? (Max. 400 words)
- Write a comment for a general audience on a topic/question that interests you in finance: (Max. 400 words).
- Sample topics might include:
- Is CEO compensation excessive?
- Markets function well as information is aggregated efficiently through prices.
- What are the benefits of shareholder activism?
GMAT or GRE is required from all applicants (GRE is preferred)
More about GRE/GMAT