Aimed at encouraging and celebrating outstanding fieldwork and research on Africa, the Masters Dissertation on Africa Prize will be awarded to the year's most innovative and significant Master’s dissertation which furthers our understanding of the continent.
Criteria and Process
- Entries must be an Msc Dissertation submitted for the 2019/20 academic year, which can be from any department at LSE and in any discipine.
- An Awards Committee will assess the entries on the basis of the research question's innovation; significance of the findings; methodology and overall quality of the written dissertation.
- The FLCA will award three prizes for outstanding dissertations and one prize for innovative research techniques.
- Submissions must be made from the LSE department to the FLCA directly by 10 September 2020.
- The prize will be announced on 18 December 2020.
- Four winners of the prize will each receive £500. All winners will also be invited to contribute a blog piece related to their research to Africa at LSE.
- For more information and for submissions from the department to the FLCA please contact Stephen Johnson: email@example.com
2019 Prize Winners
Pirates and Property: The Moralities of Branded and Generic Medicines
FLCA dissertation fieldwork funding
In previous years, recipients of the FLCA's Dissertation Fieldwork Funding are automatically submitted to entry for the Masters Dissertation on Africa Prize. The FLCA puts out a call for Dissertation Fieldwork Funding every year in February-March. Due to the COVID-19 outbreak the FLCA suspended fieldwork for the 2019/20 and hopes to resume this process for 2020/21.
To be accepted for funding students must:
- Be enrolled in an LSE Master’s programme
- Provide a letter of authorisation for their fieldwork from their Head of Department
- Provide a letter of recommendation from their supervisor along with a complete application form
Please see more information about Masters Dissertation on Africa Funding here.
For all enquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org