The Confucius Institute for Business London (CIBL) aims to help London business communities to learn the Chinese language and foster greater understanding of the business culture in China. Its primary focus at LSE is on business language teaching. The CIBL also hosts a number of events to promote wider Chinese culture - most of which are open to the general public.
There are over 500 Confucius Institutes worldwide, including 29 in the United Kingdom. They are always attached to institutions of higher education, which in the UK include - as well as LSE - the Institute of Education and the universities of Cardiff, Ulster, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Liverpool, Manchester, Nottingham, Sheffield, Southampton, London South Bank, Goldsmiths and SOAS amongst others.
Each Confucius Institute has a Chinese partner university, and through its relationship with the CIBL, LSE operates in collaboration with Tsinghua University, Beijing. In the best traditions of academic exchange, LSE and Tsinghua have built a relationship that is open and transparent to enable valuable discussions on a range of issues facing China today.
(In company name alphabetical order)
- British Petroleum Plc - Dr Thomas Wales, Group Political Adviser
- Chinese Embassy in the UK - Mr Yongli Wang, Minister Counsellor for Education
- Deloitte LLP - Mr Angus Knowles-Cutler, Vice Chairman and London Senior Partner
- HanBan (Confucius Institute Headquarters) - Mr Jianfei Ma, Deputy Director-General of Hanban
- HSBC - Sir Sherard Cowper-Coles, Group Head of Government Affairs, HSBC, UK Chairman of CIBL Advisory Council
- John Swire and Sons Ltd - Mr Philippe De Gentile-Williams, Staff Director
- LSE - Prof. Paul Kelly, Pro-director of LSE, Teaching and Learning
- Standard Chartered Bank - Mr Vasuki Shastry, Global Head, Public Affairs and Sustainability
- Tsinghua University - Prof. Weihe Xie, Vice President of Tsinghua University, Chairman of CIBL Advisory Council
- Prof Paul Kelly (Pro-Director for Education)
- Dr Neil McLean (CIBL UK Director)
- Prof Weimin CHENG (CIBL China Director)
- Prof Richard Macve (Department of Accounting)
- Robin Hoggard (Director of Government Relations)
- Prof Kathy YUAN (Department of Finance)
- Mark Maloney (Head of Academic Partnerships)
- Prof Kent DENG (CIBL Associate Director)
- Dr Hong LU (CIBL Deputy Director)
- Prof Qiwei YAO (Department of Statistics)
- Dr Fei QIN (Department of Management)