1400x700 Milan Landscape


Information for outbound LSE students

This page contains additional information for Bocconi University 

Your next steps:


After your GO LSE application has been processed and approved by Bocconi, the university will contact you with information of how to access their online system and register as a student. Once you have been provided with access instructions for their online student portal, check back regularly for updates on all matters related to registration, enrolment, and course selection.  

Information about online registration can be found here.

You cannot submit a student visa application (if required) until you have registered through the portal and received proof of your acceptance from Bocconi. 

Apply for a student visa

Obtaining a visa: 

British citizens and other non–EU nationals will need to apply for a visa to study in Italy. Citizens of EU countries should not require a visa.  

The GO LSE team is not legally permitted to give you advice on obtaining a visa to enter Italy.  You will be responsible for making your own arrangements and we recommend starting the process at the earliest opportunity. 

The process: 

  • Details of the process of applying for a visa can be found on the Italian Consulate website. 

  • A useful guide for the visa application process has been created by the Milan Tourist Board

  • Please see the requirements to obtain a ‘permit of stay’ in addition to your student visa below.  

Arrange flights and Accommodation

LSE strongly advises that you do not book non-refundable flights or make binding accommodation arrangements until you have obtained your visa. 

Student accommodation is available to exchange students studying at Bocconi but a place is not guaranteed. Applications for exchange students to apply for housing for the Autumn Semester are open between Wednesday 25 and Sunday 29 May 2022. For further details, please see the accommodation application page on Bocconi’s website.

Further details on renting privately in Milan can be found on the YesMilano website.


Obtain an Italian tax code

In order to open an Italian bank account, engage with the Italian public healthcare system (see below), enter into rental agreements and undertake a range of other activities, you must have a ‘Codice Fiscale’ or tax code (broadly akin to a British National Insurance number).  

This can be obtained once you have a student visa either by contacting the Italian consulate directly or you should be contacted by Bocconi in July about applying online as they maintain an agreement with the Italian authorities to assist in providing them to their international students.  

Please see the Bocconi incoming exchange students webpage for further information.  

Health Insurance

To study in Italy on a student visa you will need to have an Italian Health Insurance Card (Tessera Sanitaria) as this will give you access to the Italian public health system. In order to obtain it you must first have obtained an Italian Tax Code (see above) and proof of your address for your time in Italy. For full details of the process and the required documentation please see the Health service page of the Bocconi website.

Additionally, British citizens or residents eligible for the Global Health Insurance Card (or remaining eligible for an EHIC) should ensure they have one and it is valid for their time in Italy. However, please note that a GHIC will not fulfil the health insurance requirements. Full details of eligibility and how to obtain a GHIC please see the government website.

While it is not obligatory as part of your student visa, you may wish to consider procuring private health insurance for your time abroad depending upon your individual needs.  

LSE Notification of Travel Form and travel insurance

LSE Notification of Travel:

All students undertaking travel as part of their studies must complete the Travel Notification Form. You will need to have confirmed your proposed departure and return date before completing the form (these can be amended later).

After you have submitted the form, it will be reviewed by LSE's Health and Safety team. Once approved, you will receive confirmation via email.

LSE Travel Insurance:

By completing the mandatory Travel Notification Form, you will automatically be covered under LSE's Travel Insurance policy.

  • The insurance will cover you for losses sustained during your period of cover, including against lost, stolen, and accidentally damaged property.
  • It will also cover you for medical emergencies. However, please note that this is not comprehensive medical cover.
  • The insurance will not cover flight cancellations or curtailments as a result of COVID-19. Nor will the policy cover the costs associated with mandatory quarantining or COVID-19 testing.
  • The insurance will not cover travel that is taken outside the scope of your exchange programme. 

For further details visit the LSE Travel Insurance webpage and contact the Health and Safety Team if you have any questions.

You are strongly encouraged to procure your own travel insurance if you intend to travel elsewhere within Italy or the EU during the year as this is not covered under LSE’s policy. Similarly, you may wish to insure high value items you will be travelling with such as your phone or laptop as these may not be covered under some travel insurance schemes.  

Other travel requirements

You should consult the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) travel guidance for Italy prior to travelling to ensure that you adhere to any country specific requirements for Covid-19 vaccinations or testing and to familiarise yourself with the national emergency procedures such as the emergency services phone number.  

Please see the Italy page on the FCDO website.


Arrival and Orientation

Bocconi’s Welcome Week will run from Monday 29 August to Saturday 3 September 2022. During this time you will collect your student ID card, attend orientation events, and get the chance to see more of the university and the city.  

More information can be found on the Welcome activities webpage.

Teaching commences the following week, beginning Monday 5 September 2022.   

Enrolment and permit of stay

If you are studying at Bocconi on a Italian student visa then you will need to apply for a ‘permit of stay’ within eight working days of your arrival. Bocconi will be able to provide further details on the local arrangements and you can find further information on their inbound study abroad website.

Please ensure that you familiarise yourself with the range of documentation and processing fee required before you depart for Italy.