Accommodation for students with disabilities or other support needs

How we can support your stay in halls

Adjustments we can make to your accommodation and how we assess your needs.

We welcome bookings from students with disabilities or medical and other support needs.

What adjustments can we make?

We've been able to find suitable accommodation for students with hearing or visual impairments, who use wheelchairs, and students with other support needs. Adjustments we've made in the past include:

  • allocate a particular location (eg closer to campus/hospitals)
  • allocate a specific room type (eg larger or en suite rooms)
  • allocate a room nearby to carer(s)
  • arrange for specific furniture (eg ergonomic bed)
  • install additional safety aids (eg flashing fire alarms)
  • allocate to a non-catered hall (eg if you have severe food allergies)

You'll also be supported by the live-in team of pastoral staff who help everyone make the most of their time at LSE

Emotional Support Animals

LSE halls have either no or very limited outside space and operate at full capacity for most of the year. Central London and the LSE campus itself are extremely busy and densely populated. As such, our halls of residence are not suitable living environments for most animals. However, LSE Residential and Catering Services Division recognises that there are circumstances in which an emotional support/therapy animal may be necessary for the wellbeing of a student, and is supportive of this need. 

In order for us to consider your request for an emotional support animal, you should follow the steps outlined in Option A below, when you will be provided with a form to provide to your GP for them to confirm that:

  • living with an emotional support animal is a mandatory treatment for your medical condition;
  • that your condition cannot be kept under control adequately by any other measures; and
  • that it is not possible for you to live in privately rented housing

LSE does not supply emotional support or therapy animals and we do not permit pets in halls of residence. The care of the emotional support animal will be the responsibility of the student at all times. Should the animal cause damage to the hall or disturbance to the other residents, the arrangement will be reviewed with you and may be discontinued. 

How accessible are our halls?

Our most suitable hall for students with mobility needs is High Holborn Residence. Other halls have step-free access and accessible rooms, too. AccessAble have put together detailed online accessibility guides for LSE halls.

How to tell us about your needs

Depending on whether you want to tell us about medical needs/a disability or other support needs, follow option A or B. 

Option A - tell us about your medical needs or a disability that may affect your accommodation


  • Start your booking. You’ll be prompted to tell us about any medical requirements that may affect your accommodation
  • Download the GP assessment form and ask your GP to complete it. If you’re a new student, you can now make a booking, if you’re a continuing student, we need to receive and approve the GP assessment form first.
  • Upload the completed GP assessment form
  • NOTE: If you require significant adjustments to your accommodation you must upload your completed assessment form by 31 May (we will accept requests for adjustments after 31 May, however we cannot guarantee that we will be able to complete adjustment works at late notice)

What happens next?

Once we've received your booking and the GP assessment form, we'll meet with the Disability and Wellbeing Service to review your booking. Then we'll contact you to confirm whether the room type you have booked is suitable and with information on any adjustments we can make.

We may amend your booking before we've received your GP assessment form, based on what you’ve told us. We may also change the booking later, based on what your GP says.

Option B - tell us about other support needs that may affect your accommodation

  • start your booking
  • you’ll be prompted to tell us about any other support needs that may affect your accommodation

What happens next?

Once we've received your booking, the Head of Residential Life will meet with the Residential Services Office to review your booking. Then we'll contact you to confirm whether the room type you have booked is suitable and with information on any adjustments that we can make. 


If you wish to appeal our decision, follow the Accommodation appeals procedure (Disability and Wellbeing service) [PDF]. 


Related support and information