For more than 20 years, Prof Georgiou has been researching media and communications’ role in constructing meanings of identity and citizenship. Her current research has three distinct but interconnected strands. The first strand examines the synergetic relation between media and the city and the ways in which their close interconnection organises and regulates urban publics and communities. The second strand examines media’s role in identity construction, especially among diasporic populations and migrants. The third strand explores the ways in which diversity is represented in the media and the consequences that these representations have for the European ethical and political space.
These strands are explored in a series of recent and current research project that include a study of communication infrastructure in multicultural London (LSE); a cross-European project on migration and the media in the context of t Europe’s “refugee crisis” (LSE); a cross-European project on Arab audiences and citizenship (EU); and a study of digital politics among London’s youth (EU). She has recently completed a book titled Media and the City (2013, Polity Press).
Current and recent research projects
- (2020-23) ySkills - Youth Skills. EU Horizon (LSE team)
- (2017-19) Resilient Communities, Resilient Cties? Digital Makings of the City of Refuge. Rockefellar Foundation. (Principal Investigator)
- (2017-18) Communicating the Digital City. Leverhulme Trust International Academic Fellowship. (Principal Investigator)
- (2016-18) Social Media and Identity from the Perspective of Diasporic LGBTQs. European Commission Horizon 2020 Marie-Curie European Fellowship Research Fellow: Lukasz Szulc (Principal Investigator)
- (2016-19) Alevi Television and the Making of Transnational Alevi Identity. The Royal Society Newton International Fellowship (UK Academic; PI: Cetin Berfin)
- (2013-2015) Marie Curie Inter-European Fellowship: (UPLOAD) Upload. Urban Politics of London Youngsters Analyzed Digitally, Research Fellow: Keun Leurs (Principal Investigator)
- (2013-2014) Community through digital connectivity? Communication infrastructure in multicultural London. LSE Seed Fund. (PI)
- (2008-2011) Media and Citizenship: Transnational Television Cultures Reshaping Political Identities in the European Union; European Commission FP7 (Partner, leading research in the UK, Spain, Cyprus)
- (2007-2008) International Networks Collaboration Mediated Networks: Engendered Diaspora and Global Citizenship (funded by the World Universities Network and the University of Leeds)
- (2007-2009) Representation of Minorities in the European Press - UK Team leader. EU Fundamental Rights Agency