Dr Rocco Friebel is Assistant Professor of Health Policy and Visiting Fellow at the Center for Global Development. He is Director of the Executive MSc Evaluation of Health Care Interventions and Outcomes in collaboration with the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, and teaches courses in Health Economics, Quality and Outcomes in Cardiovascular Sciences, and Health System Performance Measurement.
He specialises in the assessment of quality of care delivered by health systems around the world. His research investigates the impact of national-level and regional policies, their implications for health system finances and quality of care for patients. Findings of his research have been published in relevant economics, policy and medical journals, including Health Economics, Health Policy and the Lancet.
Dr Friebel received a PhD from Imperial College London, and an MSc in Health Economics from the University of York. Before joining the Department of Health Policy, he worked as a Senior Analyst for the Health Foundation. He frequently advises national and international institutions.
- Minimum wage in Germany and its impact on risky behaviour and health outcomes (with Mujaheed Shaikh)
- The impact of financial penalties on reducing readmission rates
- Private medical insurance and its role in improving efficiency of cancer care in England (with Laia Maynou-Pujolras)
- Bed occupancy and A&E performance in English hospitals
- Quality and the role of Independent Treatment Centres for the treatment of hip and knee replacements (with Matthew Skellern)
- Maryland’s All-Payer model and its impact on quality of care and cost (with Federico Viganego)
PhD, Imperial College London, 2018
MSc, University of York, 2014
Programme Director, Executive MSc Evaluation of Health Care Interventions and Outcomes
HP407 Evidence Review and Synthesis for Decision Making
HP402 Measuring Health System Performance
HP4C2E Quality and Outcomes in Cardiovascular Sciences
The Center for Global Development, Washington DC
Other professional activities
American Society of Health Economics
International Health Economics Association
Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Gesundheitsokonomie e.V.
Association of Professional Healthcare Analysts