In the mid-1990s Leslie was part of the ACTs-FAIR project reviewing European telematics programmes for the EC and in the late-90s he was part the of an EC project looking at the users who were envisaged by ICT designers and the broader adoption of Design for All principles. He helped devise and analyse a five-country survey of ICT use in Europe in the mid-90s, funded by Telecom Italia. In 2000 he participated in the EURESCOM (European trade association for telecoms) project looking at European attitudes to ICTs and was subsequently involved in research for UMTS Forum (Mobile phone trade association). At the same time he was on the steering committee of and wrote a chapter for the EC funded e-Living project. More recently he was one of the experts working for the EC, evaluating whether internet companies had met their commitments about safer internet principles.
Leslie has been a visiting researcher at TeleDenmark (Denmark), Chalmers (Sweden) and Hallym University (South Korea). Since the 1990s he has participated in the EMTEL research network European Media, Technology and Everyday Life Network, (1994-7) and three European COST Actions: COST248 (The Future Telecommunications User, 1992-7), COST269 (User Aspects of ICTs, 1999-2004) and COST298 (Participation in the Broadband Society, 2006-10).
- Haddon, L. and Brynin, M. (2005) 'The Character of Telework and the Characteristics of Teleworkers', New Technology, Work and Employment, Vol.20, No.1.
- Brynin , M. and Haddon, L. (2007) 'What Does Telework Tell Us About Teleworkers?', in Anderson, B., Brynin, M, Gershuny, J. and Raban, J. (eds) Information and Communication Technologies in Society, Routledge, London, , pp.222-32.
Children and mobile phones
- Ling, R. and Haddon, L. (2008) 'Mobile Emancipation: Children, Youth and the Mobile Phone', in Dortner, K. and Livingstone, L. (eds) International Handbook of Children, Media and Culture, Sage, London, pp.137-51.
- Haddon, L. and Vincent, J. (2009) 'Children's Broadening Use of Mobile Phones', in Goggin, G. and Hjorth, L. (eds) Mobile Technologies: From Telecommunications to Media, Routledge, London, pp.37-49.
- Haddon L. and Ólafsson, K. (2014) 'Children and the mobile internet', in Goggin, G. and Hjorth, L. (eds) The Routledge Companion to Mobile Media, Abingdon, Routledge, pp, 300-311.
- Haddon, L. and Kommonen, K-H (2005) 'Interdisciplinary Explorations: A Dialogue between a Sociologist and a Design Group', in Haddon, L. (Ed.) International Collaborative Research. Cross-cultural Differences and Cultures of Research, COST, Brussels.
- Haddon, L, Mante, E., Sapio, B., Kommonen, K-H, Fortunati, L and Kant, A (eds) (2005) Everyday Innovators, Researching the Role of Users in Shaping ICTs, Springer, Dordrect.
Table of contents
- Loos, E., Haddon, L. and Mante-Meijer, E. (eds) (2008) The Social Dynamics of Information and Communications Technology, Ashgate. Aldershot.
- Loos, E., Haddon, L. and Mante-Meijer, E. (eds) (2012) Generational Use of New Media, Ashgate. Aldershot.
Table of contents