The Care Policy and Evaluation Centre (CPEC) is an international research centre working mainly in the areas of long-term care (social care), mental health, developmental disabilities and other health issues. Since 2009, we have been awarded over 85 new research grants, totalling £19 million, and has been involved in a number of key policy and practice developments. Until June 2019 we were known as the Personal Social Services Research Unit (PSSRU) at the LSE.
We have been a research group at LSE since 1996; growing out of the original PSSRU established at the University of Kent in 1974. In 2000, we joined with LSE Health to form LSE Health and Social Care.
In 2017 we became an independent research centre at the LSE affiliated to the Department of Health Policy.
Our mission is to conduct high quality research on social and health care to inform and influence policy, practice and theory.
Associated with this mission are the following aims:
- To conduct long-term research to help shape the developments of social and health care systems, in the UK and internationally, while also responding to more immediate research needs;
- To develop and employ rigorous research methods from a multidisciplinary base;
- To examine the performance and functioning of social and health care finance, organisation and delivery, with a particular emphasis on promoting efficiency and equity;
- To conduct research that meets the best standards of research governance;
- To work towards greater user involvement in research;
- To ensure knowledge exchange activities feature as a priority in all activities, and that research findings are shared with a wide range of audiences through a variety of media;
- To sustain a vibrant research environment.
We carry out policy analysis, research and consultancy globally. Our research spans the whole life-course - from pregnancy to end-of-life care and bereavement.
We apply rigorous methods drawn from a range of disciplines, with economic questions and approaches quite prominent.
Our research has contributed in many ways to the development of national and local policies and frontline practice in the UK and elsewhere.
Recognised research groups
The Centre has three affiliated research groups: the NIHR Policy Research Unit in Adult Social Care (ASCRU), the NIHR School for Social Care Research (NIHR SSCR) and the International Long-term Care Policy Network (ILPN) (see research units below).
Affiliated research groups
We have a substantial number of links with other universities, policy-makers, research funding bodies, international groups and organisations, and academics. Many of these links have been developed through specific research projects and initiatives.
We are also partners in three external research units (detailed at the foot of this page).
How to find us
CPEC and its afﬁliated groups – NIHR SSCR, the NIHR Policy Research Unit in Adult Social Care (ASCRU) and the International Long-term Care Policy Network (ILPN) – are located on the 8th floor of Pankhurst House and the 5th floor of Fawcett House (accessed via Pankhurst House). Pankhurst and Fawcett Houses are just off the Aldwych next to the Royal Courts of Justice.