Dr. Karin King is a Fellow in the Department of Management of the London School of Economics and Political Science in London. Karin’s lecturing and teaching focuses on strategic human resource management, leadership and talent management, organisational behaviour, negotiations, and strategic rewards in the Department’s Master’s degree programs.
Dr. King is also an experienced global Human Resources professional and consulting practitioner, having held leadership roles in corporate HR and in professional services. She holds professional designations in Human Resources, Management Consulting and is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
In her ongoing advisory work with leaders and organisations, Karin draws on practical insight from both professional and academic experience to support leaders in their design and evidence-based evaluation of talent management in alignment with business priorities.
Karin’s current research is focused on global talent management and its strategic relevance to business-critical imperatives including leadership and executive development, CEO succession and board governance, human capital development, and diversity and inclusion.
Employement Relations and Human Resource Management Faculty Group
Journal articles (refereed)
- King, K. A., & Vaiman, V. (2019). Enabling effective talent management through a macro-contingent approach: A framework for research and practice. BRQ Business Research Quarterly, 22(3), 194-206.
- King, K. A. (2017). The talent climate: Creating an organisational context supportive of sustainable talent development through implementation of a strong talent system. Journal of Organizational Effectiveness: People and Performance.
- King, K. A. (2016). The talent deal and journey: Understanding how employees respond to talent identification over time. Employee Relations, 38(1), 94-111.
- King, K. A. (2015). Global talent management: Introducing a strategic framework and multiple-actors model. Journal of Global Mobility: The Home of Expatriate Management Research, 3(3), 273-288.
- King, K.A. & Vaiman, V. (2018). “Macro Talent Management (MTM): What it is and why is it important to Global Talent Management”, in Collings, D., Scullion, H., and Caligiuri, P. Global Talent Management, 2nd Edition. Routledge. ISBN 978-1-13-871244-7
- King, K. A. (2018). “Macro Talent Management in Canada: A Review of the National Context, Competitive Strengths and Future Opportunities to Attract, Develop and Retain Talent”, in Vaiman, V., Schuler, R.S., Sparrow, P.R., & Collings, D.G. (Eds.), Macro Talent Management: A Global Perspective on Managing Talent at Country Level. New York City/London: Routledge.
Considering the Talent in Talent Management: Consequences of Strategic Talent Management for the Employee Psychological Contract and Individual Outcomes.
Awards & recognition:
- Teaching Excellence Award, Department of Management, London School of Economics and Political Science. UK 2015 and 2019
- Award of Excellence 2016: Highly Commended Manuscript "Global Talent Management", Volume 3, Number 3. Emerald Literati Awards, Journal of Global Mobility
- Best Paper Award, Journal of Global Mobility for the paper entitled “Talent Management in the Business: HR’s Central Role in a Multiple Actor’s Model”, European Institute for Advanced Studies in Management (EIASM), Germany, 2014.
- Human Resources Excellence Award, Chartered Professionals in Human Resources, Canada