Professor Michael Cox is Director of LSE IDEAS and Emeritus Professor of International Relations at LSE.
In addition, he is currently working on a history of LSE.
Professor Cox has held appointments at:
- The Queen's University of Belfast (1972-1995)
- California State University at San Diego (1986)
- The College of William and Mary in Virginia (1987-1989)
- The Department of International Politics, Aberystwyth (1995-2001)
- The Catholic University of Milan (2003-2008)
- The University of Melbourne (2004-2005)
- The Centre for Defence and Strategic Studies in Canberra, Australia (2004-2008)
He helped establish the Cold War Studies Centre in 2004 and expand it into IDEAS, a foreign policy centre based at the LSE which aims to bring the academic and policy words together, in 2008.
In a 2017 international survey, IDEAS was ranked 2nd in the world amongst the best university affiliated Think Tanks.
Since joining the LSE he has also acted as Academic Director of both the LSE-PKU Summer School and of the Executive Summer School.
In 2011, he launched a new Executive Masters in Global Strategy designed to teach senior foreign policy practitioners.