This is a free service which allows you to borrow material from libraries across the world, giving you access to a diverse range of material including:
- journal articles
To request a book or article from another library:
1. Find out as much as possible about the material.
2. Sign in to your Library account.
3. Select the 'Interlending' option in the site navigation.
4. Fill out the online form with your request details.
3. Monitor the progress of your interlending request through your Library account on Library Search.
Picking up or returning material
If you need to pick up or return material then you can do this:
- Monday to Friday 10.30am to 5pm
- At the Women's Library Reading Room on the fourth floor
Loanable items will be issued to your Library borrower account. Articles can be collected and are then yours to keep.
- Most journal articles are now supplied electronically.
- You will need to register to download articles supplied by the British Library. You will be sent an email containing a link via which you can download the article and instructions on how to do this. You will only need to register once.
- If the Library receives a paper copy of the article it will be held at the Women's Library Reading Room for you to collect.
Please note that you may only request one article from an issue of a journal.
If you need more than one article from an issue of a journal you will have to request the whole issue.
If the thesis you need has not been digitised then place a request through the Interlending request form using the books category.
There may be a long wait for theses to become accessible. Consider contacting the author or visiting the holding institution if possible.
Information for external libraries requesting our material
Lending Policy in brief
We do not lend journals but may lend books with the location Main Collection, Government Publications or Intergovernmental Organisations. We may be able to supply photocopies of journal articles.
We offer a limited service as a library of last resort. Requests from libraries within the UK will be considered and libraries outside the UK who have an account with the British Library (with a billing and location code) will be considered. We are not currently providing this service to libraries from the rest of the world. If you are unable to obtain the material from other locations, please place “library of last resort” in the title of your request and email email@example.com providing the following information:
- Your British Library Billing Code
- Request reference
- Your request details (Title, Author etc.)
- Your British Library Location Code
Conditions of loan
Items are loaned for up to 6 weeks. All loans are subject to recall. To renew items please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We charge current British Library prices.