As the regulatory landscape continues to evolve, a sound understanding of the field is of equal value to those who work within regulatory organisations and those who are subject to regulation.
The LSE Regulation: Theory, Strategy, and Practice online certificate course offers an engaging, multidisciplinary look at the topic of regulation. You’ll engage with a cross-sectoral, contextualised approach to learning that will enable you to think critically about the regulatory environment as a whole. As a business leader, this will empower you to address regulatory change and its potential challenges, and in turn enhance your performance. Those working within the regulatory space will gain the knowledge and frameworks to critically examine and design regulatory systems and responses.
The course aligns theory with the real world as it considers regulation through a practical lens, while still drawing on research-based academic material from LSE Law – one of the world's top law schools with an international reputation for the quality of its teaching and legal research.
Over eight weeks, you’ll unpack the different drivers of regulation and learn how to improve accountability in regulation through transparency and public participation. You’ll also examine transnational regulation and the opportunities and challenges it brings as well as the links between risk and regulation.
This online certificate course is certified by the United Kingdom CPD Certification Service, and may be applicable to individuals who are members of, or are associated with, UK-based professional bodies. The course has an estimated 70 hours of learning.
Registrations close: 4 May 2021
Course start (Orientation opens): 12 May 2021
Module 1 starts: 19 May 2021
Duration: 8 weeks (excluding orientation)
Commitment: 7 - 10 hours per week
- Gain the tools to critically examine the changing regulatory environment and how it affects you
- Develop a contextualised understanding of regulation and its underlying principles
- Get in-depth insight into the field of regulation by drawing on academic material from LSE’s law department
- Earn a certificate of competence from LSE as validation of your abilities
- Orientation module
- Module 1: Examining the case for regulation
- Module 2: Regulatory strategies
- Module 3: New strategies: From markets to nudges
- Module 4: Risk and regulation
- Module 5: Enforcement and self-regulation
- Module 6: Assessing regulatory quality
- Module 7: Accountability, transparency, and participation
- Module 8: Regulation beyond the state
Robert Baldwin – Emeritus Professor of Law, LSE
Veerle Heyvaert – Professor of Law, LSE; Founding Editor-in-Chief of Transnational Environmental Law
There are no prerequisites for this course.
This course is presented entirely online, in collaboration with leaders in online education GetSmarter. View this Regulation: Theory, Strategy, and Practice online certificate course on the GetSmarter website.
Modules are released on a weekly basis, and can be completed in your own time and at your own pace.
This interactive, supportive teaching model is designed for busy professionals and results in unprecedented certification rates for online courses.
All reading materials for this course will be made accessible to you through the Online Campus. Notes for each module are often downloadable, and you are able to save any information or collateral you use to your personal profile.