This eight-week online certificate course combines both theory and practice as it prepares you to critically evaluate real estate investment options and make informed decisions, based on economic and financial theories and research.
Guided by LSE experts from LSE’s world renowned Department of Geography and Environment (rated 2nd in the world by QS World University rankings - 2019), you’ll explore the practical and theoretical functioning of urban real estate markets using concepts from urban economics, finance and real estate economics.
You will learn how to use different techniques to value property and how those valuations, financial leverage, and portfolio considerations are used to make real estate investment decisions. You’ll explore how to analyse the value of investing in sustainable real estate and complete a capstone project, demonstrating your ability to apply the theoretical frameworks you develop during the course to inform practical real estate investment decisions.
This course has wide, international application, and will be valuable to professionals from a range of backgrounds, who wish to explore and better understand the real estate market – as an investor, developer, or real estate practitioner.
This Real Estate Economics and Finance online certificate course is certified by the United Kingdom CPD Certification Service, and may be applicable to individuals who are members of, or are associated with, UK-based professional bodies. The course has an estimated 70 hours of learning.
Registrations close: 6 April 2021
Course start (Orientation opens): 14 April 2021
Module 1 starts: 21 April 2021
Duration: 8 weeks (excluding orientation)
Commitment: 7 - 10 hours per week
- Gain an in-depth understanding of real estate economics and markets
- Understand the forces that influence the property market
- Learn to value a property based on its features or income-generating potential
- Develop practical property investment skills set against theoretical frameworks
- Learn how best to fund the purchase of a property
- Develop the ability to calculate the value of sustainable real estate
- Earn a certificate of competence from the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
- Orientation Module
- Module 1: The economies of cities
- Module 2: Understanding supply and demand for real estate markets
- Module 3: Real estate cycles
- Module 4: Pricing characteristics of properties
- Module 5: Fundamentals of finance and property valuations
- Module 6: Mortgages
- Module 7: Real estate investments
- Module 8: Sustainable real estate
There are no prerequisites for this course.
This course is presented entirely online, in collaboration with leaders in online education, GetSmarter.
Modules are released on a weekly basis, and can be completed in your own time and at your own pace.
This interactive, supportive teaching model is designed for busy professionals and results in unprecedented certification rates for online courses.
All reading materials for this course will be made accessible to you through the Online Campus. Notes for each module are often downloadable, and you are able to save any information or collateral you use to your personal profile.