In modern organisations, finance and accounting functions are not just focused on simple cost reduction strategies, but are involved in improving planning, driving efficiencies, and providing enterprise-wide insights. A functional understanding of finance and accounting by non-financial managers and decision makers can be used to better harness these insights and align business strategy effectively.
The Accounting for Investment and Managerial Decision-Making online certificate course will equip you with the financial and managerial accounting skills you need to make better business and investment decisions, and enhance your organisation’s performance.
Over the course of eight weeks, you’ll explore the building blocks of financial reporting, gain an ability to interpret income statements and balance sheets, and discover how to clearly communicate the results to business stakeholders.
Drawing on real-world lessons from practical case studies, you’ll also explore how to evaluate costs, efficiencies, and profits to create a sustainable culture of improvement, and learn to precisely set budgets and targets that fit your organisation’s risk profile. Finally, you’ll learn how to create incentive, monitoring, and feedback systems that inform decision makers and drive results.
This online certificate course is certified by the United Kingdom CPD Certification Service, and may be applicable to individuals who are members of, or are associated with, UK-based professional bodies. The course has an estimated 70 hours of learning.
Registrations close: 11 May 2021
Course start (Orientation opens): 19 May 2021
Module 1 starts: 26 May 2021
Duration: 8 weeks (excluding orientation)
Commitment: 7 - 10 hours per week
- Gain a practical understanding of fundamental financial and managerial accounting concepts and principles to enhance business decision-making
- Develop your ability to analyse income statements and balance sheets using ratio analysis, and learn how to communicate the results effectively to stakeholders
- Explore insights into the costs, efficiencies, and profits of a company, and discover how to create a sustainable culture of improved performance
- Enhance your capacity to delegate management control and decision-making authority, fostering responsibility and accountability within your team
- Discover how to design incentive, monitoring, and feedback systems that can help inform decisions, drive performance, and achieve goals
Kenneth Lee – Associate Professorial Lecturer and MSc Programme Director, Department of Accounting, LSE
Henry Eyring – Assistant Professor of Accounting, Department of Accounting, LSE
No prior accounting knowledge is required or expected. However, access to and proficiency in both Microsoft Word and Excel is necessary to complete this course.
This course is presented entirely online, in collaboration with leader in online education, GetSmarter. View this Accounting for Investment and Managerial Decision-Making online certificate course on the GetSmarter website.
Modules are released on a weekly basis, and can be completed in your own time and at your own pace.
This interactive, supportive teaching model is designed for busy professionals and results in unprecedented certification rates for online courses.
All reading materials for this course will be made accessible to you through the Online Campus. Notes for each module are often downloadable, and you are able to save any information or collateral you use to your personal profile.