This information is for the 2019/20 session.
All teachers of taught courses within the European Institute.
This course is compulsory on the MSc in Culture and Conflict in a Global Europe, MSc in Culture and Conflict in a Global Europe (LSE & Sciences Po), MSc in European Studies (Research), MSc in European and International Public Policy (LSE and Bocconi), MSc in International Migration and Public Policy, MSc in Political Economy of Europe and MSc in Political Economy of Europe (LSE and Sciences Po). This course is available on the MSc in European and International Public Policy and MSc in European and International Public Policy (LSE and Sciences Po). This course is not available as an outside option.
Students are required to write a 10,000-word dissertation on a topic within the field of their chosen programme. Those seeking further guidance on topic selection should approach their Academic Advisor in the first instance. A Dissertation Supervisor will be assigned later in the academic year after students have submitted a preliminary topic proposal. The dissertation should be an account of original research, but can rely on secondary sources.
In preparation for the dissertation, students must submit a Preliminary Dissertation Topic Proposal, a Dissertation Prospectus and a Final Dissertation Topic Proposal, along with a research ethics review checklist. Failure to submit the required documents will result in the student not being able to submit the Dissertation. Following the submission of the Final Dissertation Topic Approval Form, a student will receive notification in writing from the EI’s Administration Team as to whether it has been finally approved or not - a student cannot progress to the submission of the dissertation without such approval. Students are strongly advised to attend the relevant methodology course for their programme on how to conduct research and write a dissertation. Detailed information on timing, deadlines and presentation can be found in the EU499 Moodle page. Students are required to read any additional information relevant to their particular programme.
- Students taking MSc in Political Economy of Europe, MSc in Political Economy of Europe (LSE and Sciences Po), MSc in Culture and Conflict in a Global Europe, MSc Culture and Conflict in a Global Europe (LSE and Sciences Po) are expected to attend EU410 Interdisciplinary Research Methods and Design.
- Students taking MSc in European Studies (Research) are required to choose a research course from their Paper 2 options.
- Students taking MSc in International Migration and Public Policy are expected to attend SO476 Researching Migration: Research Questions and Research Methods.
- Students taking MSc in European and International Public Policy, MSc in European and International Public Policy (Sciences Po) and MSc in European and International Public Policy (LSE and Bocconi) are required to take EU490 Evidence and Analysis in Policy-Making.
A written essay (prospectus) of 2,000 words is required as part of the approval process.
Dissertation (100%, 10000 words) post-summer term.
Department: European Institute
Total students 2018/19: 161
Average class size 2018/19: Unavailable
Controlled access 2018/19: No
Value: One Unit
Personal development skills
- Problem solving
- Application of information skills